Which Alloy Wheels

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: desdnzl

Contributor

Hi Guys

I have a 2004 C3 1.4 HDI SX my question is about alloy wheel sizes. The manufacturers recommended size for my car as far as i can tell is 4X108 6.5J ET 25 15' . I bought a set of 5 alloys in almost mint condition on ebay for under £50 ( poor seller had paid £180 a month earlier then crashed the car before they could be fitted) Unfortunately the seller couldn't tell me all the sizes they just knew that they were 15' and 4x108 and that the wheels were 185/65/15 . I took one with me when i put the car in the garage to get fixed and asked my mechanic if they would fit.When i picked the car up he told me that he tried the wheel on and that they fit.My problem is this when i got home and went to fit the alloys i noticed that the alloy sizes were 7 J and had an offset of 35 that's 10 more than the recommended.I choose not to fit them as i first want to know of the implications of fitting a different size to the manufacturers recommended.Is it dangerous ? will it do damage ? Effect handling ? etc any help or advice would be appreciated. If they are not right for my car then all is not lost as i'm sure to double my money at least and put that towards the correct size alloys.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

i first want to know of the implications of fitting a different size to the manufacturers recommended.
Your insurance company will need to know if you have non standard wheels fitted and they will adjust the premium accordingly.
Is it dangerous ? will it do damage ? Effect handling ?
That would depend entirely on the new wheels and tyres not clearing the suspension and bodywork under full turn and full compression of the suspension. There is the range from some rubbing of the inner arch, to a complete meeting of the tyre or wheel with something that it shouldn't, it all depends.

The safest way is to fit tyre and wheel sizes/offsets that citroen offered from the factory because you know that has been very well tested. As for fitting non standard, you really need to look at the clearance of body and suspension from lock to lock and full suspension compression to see what's what. A little bit of offset is unlikely to be noticed in handling or not much more strain on the wheel bearings, but the arches may foul the tyre when hitting a speed bump if the size is wrong.

If they are not right for my car then all is not lost as i'm sure to double my money at least and put that towards the correct size alloys.
Technically, they are not right for your car. But as long as the insurance company is happy and they clear the body and suspension in all modes, then such a small change may just work. With an excessive offset, some wheel spacers on eBay and longer wheel bolts could help.

I have some pictures of the standard Citroen C3 factory wheels in a reply to your other post:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)