When Auto is selected ... headlights flicker a lot

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: PIT

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (57)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 86000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: ET3 16-valve (90 PS)

Hello
I have this type of indicator stalk with Auto headlights on the rotation switch.
stalk1.jpg
stalk1.jpg (39.44 KiB) Viewed 206 times

When Auto is selected ... headlights flicker a lot. The flickering is sensitive to touching the rotation switch so I guess the problem is there and not deep inside the COM. But when I removed the end cap I saw this
stalk2.jpg
stalk2.jpg (45.9 KiB) Viewed 206 times
Is it possible to open this switch for repair?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

PIT wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:59 pm Hello
I have this type of indicator stalk with Auto headlights on the rotation switch.
stalk1.jpg

When Auto is selected ... headlights flicker a lot. The flickering is sensitive to touching the rotation switch so I guess the problem is there and not deep inside the COM. But when I removed the end cap I saw this
stalk2.jpg
Is it possible to open this switch for repair?
Probably easier to change the whole COM2000 unit with a working one.

You won't know what fault you have until you take the COM2000 out and then you are already half way there.

With your one removed, check the big number on it and find one that matches the number, no mater which vehicle.

"working one" on the second hand market .... it's like removing and putting back mine. Especially from online sells. I prefer to fix it or change it with new which I guess will be quite expensive...
I haven't found a stalk only ad on aliexpress/ebay that matches my stalk. That's why I wanted to open it from the tip, but... fail. A friend of mine told me that these are not designed to be disassembled.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

PIT wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:06 pm "working one" on the second hand market .... it's like removing and putting back mine. Especially from online sells. I prefer to fix it or change it with new which I guess will be quite expensive...
I haven't found a stalk only ad on aliexpress/ebay that matches my stalk. That's why I wanted to open it from the tip, but... fail. A friend of mine told me that these are not designed to be disassembled.
Hello

Yes, not designed to be disassembled, yes, expensive for a new one.

You have to remove it from the car to disassemble it.

Removing a cap is not going to work.

Go for a new one and it's done. No worries about not getting it back together or not having it working when its back on the car. A new one will last much longer than a second hand COM2000, you can get it from Citroen and know it is the exact correct one and no programming required if you couldn't match the numbers.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Big surprise! This type of stalk can also be opened!
Just found that video
Of course I ran in the garage and opened it
20210916_225912.jpg
20210916_225918.jpg
20210916_225918.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 154 times
It looks that it was not touching on the right side (bottom side on the picture)... I don't know if that is the case, but i gave a twist on all 3 pins. Closed it and now IT WORKS! I have automatic lights without flickering. :)

Just watched another video of the same person and it looks that the not touching pin was OK, because it is for the missing button on the stalk
So now I have a permanently pressed switch :D but nothing in the car cares :D