Weird electrical faults

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Clapsy

Model: I Just don't know :(
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 70000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: EB0 PureTech 3-Cylinder (68 PS)

On Saturday my daughters 2010 c3 1.4 diesel after starting the engine the lights and wipers came on automatically and both would not switch off even with the key out of ignition and switches in off position.
Airbag and seatbelt warning light are on and will not go off. eventually switching engine on and off the wipers and lights
went off. Today after going out in the car and when returning to the car she found the lights on and windscreen wipers running. Afer
inserting key into ignition it would not start. By putting key in ignition turning it to the first position and leaving it
for 30 seconds the vehicle started and was ok apart from the airbag and seatbelt warning lights on.
Anyone heard of this before.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Clapsy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 am On Saturday my daughters 2010 c3 1.4 diesel after starting the engine the lights and wipers came on automatically and both would not switch off even with the key out of ignition and switches in off position.
Airbag and seatbelt warning light are on and will not go off. eventually switching engine on and off the wipers and lights
went off. Today after going out in the car and when returning to the car she found the lights on and windscreen wipers running. Afer
inserting key into ignition it would not start. By putting key in ignition turning it to the first position and leaving it
for 30 seconds the vehicle started and was ok apart from the airbag and seatbelt warning lights on.
Anyone heard of this before.
Hi Clapsy. I have not heard of this particular problem before but all those faults are linked to one part. That is the BSI unit - body control or the fuse box in the glove box area.

I have heard of the BSI getting wet, not sure how as they are inside the cabin and causing problems but checking the BSI for anything obvious like dampness or loose plugs may help identify the cause.

Thanks for the reply, sounds a lot more involved that I had imagined, I think it’s above my capabilities going into all that so it’s probably going t be a tri to the garage.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Clapsy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:55 pm Thanks for the reply, sounds a lot more involved that I had imagined, I think it’s above my capabilities going into all that so it’s probably going t be a tri to the garage.
Yes, it won't be a simple fix, unfortunately. It's not a common problem either and it's a safety issue because of the airbag warning. I don't expect it to be a cheap fix but please do let us know what the garage says and how you proceed :)

The car is now behaving itself, there is only the airbag seatbelt light problem now. The garage says its a faulty passenger side air bag deactivation switch that's faulty. Anyone ever changed one of these and if so was it easy to do, any tips changing it would be appreciated.
My Name: Citroen-Driver

C3 Master
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 90000
Engine name: ET3 16-valve (90 PS)

Clapsy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:23 pm The car is now behaving itself, there is only the airbag seatbelt light problem now. The garage says its a faulty passenger side air bag deactivation switch that's faulty. Anyone ever changed one of these and if so was it easy to do, any tips changing it would be appreciated.
Hi Clapsy

The early models were easy to do, I don't think the later models will differ that much. Pop the switch out, unplug it, attach the new one to the plug and put it back together again.

Early C3 airbag deactivation switch
Early C3 airbag deactivation switch

Thanks for your reply I will try another switch
My Name: jkontorgr

Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 80000

Hi did u solve the priplem?

Turned out it was engine management unit. Had to have another one fitted. Very expensive fault