Water leak (Top brake light)

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: pedroaniceto

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

Hi there!

My C3 is taking some water in. The culprit is that plastic strip where the 3d brake light is mounted. I need to disassemble the plastic part (entirely) as one of the sides is no longer glued and it would be better to install it again with new double sided tape on both sides (right now just one of the sides is not glued). Can you give me any advice on disassembling that part? Thanks in advance. Pedro Aniceto
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

pedroaniceto wrote:Hi there!

My C3 is taking some water in. The culprit is that plastic strip where the 3d brake light is mounted. I need to disassemble the plastic part (entirely) as one of the sides is no longer glued and it would be better to install it again with new double sided tape on both sides (right now just one of the sides is not glued). Can you give me any advice on disassembling that part? Thanks in advance. Pedro Aniceto
Hello Pedro, I have added a picture to make sure it is the right part being discussed :)
black strip of 3rd brake light on Citroen C3 boot
black strip of 3rd brake light on Citroen C3 boot
The black strip in the picture above is shown on the Citroen diagrams and has a part number '8742.E1' but there is no mention of how it is attached to the car. You say one side is no longer glued, so I would assume that the part is just glued on, often with pressure sensitive tape.
My Name: pedroaniceto

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
DPF: Yes

Hi! Thanks for your input. That's exactly the part I was talking about. :)

The left side is loose. When I peep inside I see two worn strips of tape on the metal body that are no longer holding the plastic firmly in place. I guess it would be better to remove the entire strip, remove the hold tape, and reapply new in the entire lenght. I'm not a great mechanic (yeah, that's the spirit!) :) and I asked myself if there were no clips holding the stuff (I am quite good at clip breaking...). I'll give a look at a Wurth catalog in order to get some decent tape. Thanks again for your answer.