Unable to select 3rd gear, stiff or grinds

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: novkoviix

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

I have another problem with my gearbox, when I was driving my car, i got up to speed, and I was going to change from 2nd to 3rd, as I was pushing the gear knob to the 3rd, it didn’t want to go all the way into 3rd. and I had a feeling like it cant go in, it was between neutral and 3rd gear, I started to slowly release the clutch, and it was going, second time that happend, the gear was grinding, even though clutch was all the way in.

Another time, I was in traffic and I wanted to go from 2nd to 1st, i was going 5km/h, I even reved match, and it couldn’t go into gear, like it was stuck, then I went to parking lot to try that again, expect this time I double-clutch downshifted (I thought it should go very smoothly without problem), I did everything right and it still couldn’t go into gear, expect this time it grinded, even though i pressed clutch all the way in.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

novkoviix wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:00 pm I have another problem with my gearbox, when I was driving my car, i got up to speed, and I was going to change from 2nd to 3rd, as I was pushing the gear knob to the 3rd, it didn’t want to go all the way into 3rd. and I had a feeling like it cant go in, it was between neutral and 3rd gear, I started to slowly release the clutch, and it was going, second time that happend, the gear was grinding, even though clutch was all the way in.

Another time, I was in traffic and I wanted to go from 2nd to 1st, i was going 5km/h, I even reved match, and it couldn’t go into gear, like it was stuck, then I went to parking lot to try that again, expect this time I double-clutch downshifted (I thought it should go very smoothly without problem), I did everything right and it still couldn’t go into gear, expect this time it grinded, even though i pressed clutch all the way in.

Hi, what was the outcome of the 'other' problem you had with the imprecise gear selection?

Did you ever solve the problem?

Contributor

I didn’t fix it, I’m looking forward to it.

Contributor

I think it has more to do with clutch or syncros, I’m not sure. Imprecise and loose gear changes are happening because of bad cable selector, no doubt about that.