Temperature gauge going up and down + beeping

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: dominikaNL

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Dear all,
I am new here and I hope I can get some useful tips from more experienced user, as I have a problem which is driving me crazy!
Last year I bought an used C3 1.4 2002 and after a couple of months it started to show this annoying thing: when I am stuck in the traffic, after around 10 min the temperature gauge goes from normal 3 bars to the max, beeps, stays there for around 20 sec and goes back to normal 3 bars. It can happen once or several times.
I had the sensors checked, software updated, water pump was changed right after I bought it. The coolant stays on the same level (no leakage). I had it checked by 2 garages and after connecting it to the computer it shows the ventilator error, however when they tested the car, the ventilator was working correctly. They erased the error from the car computer but it went back a couple of times. Also, I had the gasket changed 2 months ago as there was oil in my cooling system. I don't know if the engine was really overheating and then caused the gasket damage, the garage told me probably the gasket had been damaged already before. However the problem with the temperature gauge still happens in the traffic jam.
My question is if the engine is really overheating? What should I check next? I read about the thermostat, any other idea? Does changing the ventilator make sense?

Thanks in advance for any tips!
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive

hi dominikaNL

Have you checked the wiring to the sensor? could it be shorting out as the engine bay warms up, and shrinking back as the cooling fan or cool air blows through?

Regards,

John
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Temperature monitoring strips are a really useful tool if you want to know what's really going on.

https://temperature-indicators.co.uk/aca ... ators.html is an example.

If you get the permanent types they will record the maximum temperature so you can attached one to say a water hose and read off at a later time the maximum temperature that has been recorded.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I had it checked by 2 garages and after connecting it to the computer it shows the ventilator error, however when they tested the car, the ventilator was working correctly. They erased the error from the car computer but it went back a couple of times.
For ventilator, I am reading 'cooling fan'. If the error keeps coming back, then the computer thinks there is a problem with the fan. If the fan turns ok, then its probably the signal back to the ECU to say the fan is running.

as Hans Zarkov said, a poor electrical connection on the fan, or the wiring from the fan to the ECU - the one that tells the ECU that the fan is actually turning could be the cause.

You can test the fan operation and feedback to the ECU with the lexia tool, information about that is here.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Missing Lincs wrote:Temperature monitoring strips are a really useful tool if you want to know what's really going on.
That's a great idea!

There are even some here on ebay.
My Name: dominikaNL

Year: 2002 (02)

Thank you for the suggestions! I will make an appointment with a car electrician to check the wiring and also buy the temperature stripes. Hope it solves the problem, otherwise I will nag you again ;)
My Name: MiMe

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 185000

I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy :oops: . I know that my car is not overheating... Problem is more frequent during summer/spring. So what it happens is that temperature indicator goes full (max, into red) with beeping and I can hear ventilator (on radiator) spinning very fast and after some time it stops and temp indicator goes to normal (3 bars). There are moments when indicator goes to full and never reaches normal level (3 bars) but I'm quite sure that car is not overheating. I was in garage and connected car to computer for diagnostic and we couldn't fix this issue. Even I changed thermostat (pictures). There is case when sometimes ventilator is working on high speed and it wont stop so I'm forced to disconnect wires from battery.
Since OP didn't wrote if he resolved his problem I'm asking you to help me.... Sorry for my English.
Citroen C3 engine temperature sensor

Guru

Even I changed thermostat (pictures)

The part in the pictures you posted is one of the engine temperature sensors and not the thermostat.

There are 2 engine temperature sensors (on the petrol), one for the dash display and one for the engine management, including the fan. If you are not sure which is which, change both, they are quite cheap to buy.

The thermostat in its housing looks like this:
citroen c3 thermostat
citroen c3 thermostat
and you can pick up a Citroen C3 Thermostat here.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: MiMe

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 185000

@ Arfur Dent

Can you please tell me where this thermostat goes in the engine?

Guru

MiMe wrote:@ Arfur Dent

Can you please tell me where this thermostat goes in the engine?
Hi MiMe

Its on the right hand side of the engine as you stand facing the engine bay (not the timing belt end). It may be easier to see if you remove the big air inlet pipes.
thermostat housing citroen c3
thermostat housing citroen c3
The thermostat is No.6 and its sealing ring is No.7

Follow the top big radiator hose and you will find it, the picture below is for the diesel, but the location is the same for the petrol

C3 Petrol Engine thermostat housing
Petrol Citroen C3 thermostat housing in engine bay
Petrol Citroen C3 thermostat housing in engine bay

Here is the topic with advice for refilling the C3 cooling system