Temperature gauge going up and down + beeping

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: MiMe

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 185000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Thank you very much for your answer! Today I'm going to mechanic because my car overheated yesterday... If he (mechanic) doesn't fix my problem I will buy that part and install it by myself. Thank you very much again and have a nice day!
My Name: MiMe

Year: 2003 (53)
Mileage: 185000

Hello again. I changed sensor and the thermostat (number 6 on the picture that Arfur Dent posted). Problem isn't solved yet. Now the temp goes up less than before but the radiator doesn't start when temp goes up in the red (full bar). Strange is that when I turn on AC nothing happens. Air is not cooler and the engine doesn't raise rpm(?). Engine is overheating and I'm afraid to drive to longer distances... Any ideas?
Thank you very much.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

MiMe wrote:Strange is that when I turn on AC nothing happens. Air is not cooler and the engine doesn't raise rpm(?).
The engine computer will disable the air conditioning if it detects a problem with the engine cooling/engine temperature sensor.

The cooling system may be working correctly but the engine ECU can't be sure that its all ok.
My Name: Greencitroenc3hendon

Contributor
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 104000
Trim Level: Touch

I too have the same problem. I have already changed the temp/ coolant sensor, the fan, checked wiring, check cooling system- car not overheating, and the citroen dealer thinks it's the ecu that is giving a false reading just before the fan starts. The ecu is going to cost around £800! My local garage says they can send the ecu away and then it can be checked before it is being reprogrammed around £180.
I have read this problem in the forum but has anyone actually solve this problem? So far, I have put the aircon on and it seems to have stop the lights going to the full. Any help will be appreciated. Oh, I drive a 2002 1,4sx petrol manual. Thanks!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Greencitroenc3hendon

I have not seen the solution yet. :cry:

A possible option if you want to change the engine ECU is to fit a second hand one with its corresponding BSI and Key. You can find this kit of parts here (on ebay), you need to match the fuel type, similar year, engine type and fit both ECU and BSI and use the transponder chip from the key. Then there may be some BSI configuration matching using the lexia system on a laptop.

Contributor

Thank you C3driver52. I can't believe no one has solve this problem yet, especially the Citroen dealers. I am tempted to ask my son, who speaks a bit of French to search for French C3 forums. They might have experience this problem more. I spoke to my garage and they think the 2nd hand ecu will not work due to the immobiliser etc. I will update this forum re: checking the ecu as the Citroen dealer thinks it's the problem .
Just wondering if MiMe has fixed his problem yet? I was wondering if he had checked the maxi fuse for his fan as it might has blown that's why his air con and fan not working. Currently, my air con works and because the fan runs at the same time, the warning light doesn't go up to red and bleep. But once the air con is off, the warning will go up and bleep, especially in a traffic jam etc. Hopefully some one has an idea soon!

Contributor

Here is the report and quote from my citroen garage for the problem.
Citroen C3 report and quote
Citroen C3 report and quote
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

image.jpg
That is a fair assumption, but I would monitor what the ECU is seeing (using lexia) before committing pounds to a new (or replacement) ECU.

Contributor

I still haven't have time to take my ECU out to be sent away to fix the temperature lights so as a quick fix, I took the speedo out and blanked the 3 top lights from the inside. The reason for this action because in the past, with the air con on, the lights didn't flash, but in the last few days, the lights flashed even with the air con on! I feel alot happier now but I don't recommend this to anyone as I know I don't have overheating problem for my car. However, could any one tell me where me where does the warning beeps come from and can I, a. disable it, or b. dampen the sound. Appreciate any help.

On another issue, I wrote to Citroen UK in early July for technical advice for the temperature gauage problem and they wanted my car to be booked to a Citroen dealer. I told them this was already done in mid-Jun. They wrote back last week after 5 weeks saying that they needed the car in the dealer in order for them to investigate the case, nor could they provide any financial help. I reply saying that I don't require any financial help but technical support. Plus, I said the car has only been in the dealer in mid June, so it was pointless for it to go back as the situation will be the same. Unfortunately, with this bad customer support and no solution to a problem, I have no more trust with this car. I guess with a 12 year life span, I can't really complaint and the car has done over 106000 miles, with 46,000 miles under my ownership and having spent £2500 in 4 years for repairs and servicing.