Sunroof won't open - motor working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: rcombe

Top Contributor

The sunroof on my '05 C3 won't open. When the switch is held down in the closed the motor turns in either direction (the usual). I've tried holding the button down a few times in both open and closed positions, but still have the issue. Often, especially when closing it often needs a bit of manual assistance to get it moving - I tried doing when the switch is depressed with no luck. When I hold it down in the open position it clicks, but doesn't move. I suspect something to do with the anti-pinch possibly?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

often, especially when closing it often needs a bit of manual assistance to get it moving
Sounds like the runners need some cleaning up and lubrication.
The sunroof on my '05 C3 won't open. When the switch is held down in the closed the motor turns in either direction (the usual).
I don't quite fully understand, but if you are saying that 'pushing the button makes the motor work but the roof doesn't move' I would suggest the motor drive spindle has become detached from the cog or some mechanical disconnect between the motror and the winding mechanism.
When I hold it down in the open position it clicks, but doesn't move.
If the motor clicks, then it could be that its become mechanically disconnected, if the roof clicks, then its jammed, if only the switch clicks, could be the fuse.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Top Contributor

Thanks Arfur for the reply. When the switch is depressed I can see the cog under the switch turning one way and back the other. When the switch is moved to the open position the roof doesn't move. When it is held down in the open position, I can hear a click, but no response from the motor or roof.

Top Contributor

Managed to get it open. I held it down for about 10 seconds in the fully open position, turned the switch back to the closed position, then it opened normally, when switched to open. To get it to close I had to hold the switch down. Now its up to the same old tricks, not opening at all, but with each turn of the switch I can here a mechanical clicking noise.

When it was working before I used to only open it to the second last position, as it usually wouldn't close without holding the switch down when it had been fully open.

Any suggestions? :)

Top Contributor

Anyone?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

It sounds like a mechanical problem. If its not obvious to see, I would be stripping the sunroof out to look for broken bits, damaged guides or worn out gears.

Top Contributor

I did actually did get it to open though...once :/ I tried resetting the anti-pinch again, but no luck. With each turn of the dial I hear a click, but no movement of the roof.