Strong 7 yr old son pulled off rear door handle!!!

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: waterboy

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hello all

I have 2 sons who often rush to get in their seats first.... My 7 year old is stronger than expected and recently pulled the entire handle out of the rear off-side door. He showed me it as he was attempting to put it back in again, so that he could open the door.... Suffice to say it was hard to put back in and failed to be usable again to open the door.

I now have to open the rear door from the inside which still works fine. This really is a pain in the neck, especially as the handle keeps making a bid to fall back out....

Does anyone have any suggestions or photos of how I would fix the handle back on?

Cheers

Alan
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the citroen c3 forum, waterboy,

Just to double check, its the exterior handle?

On the early shape cars (2002-2009), the exterior handle can be popped back into the unlocking mechanism, assuming the handle has not been damaged.

You may have to take the door interior panel off to fiddle with the lock mech, its very tight for space in there, but the handle is designed to be detached from the locking mechanism to allow for removal of the lock system.

Contributor

C3CAR wrote: Just to double check, its the exterior handle?

On the early shape cars (2002-2009), the exterior handle can be popped back into the unlocking mechanism, assuming the handle has not been damaged.

You may have to take the door interior panel off to fiddle with the lock mech, its very tight for space in there, but the handle is designed to be detached from the locking mechanism to allow for removal of the lock system.
You are right it is the exterior handle and it is an 08. I have wiggled and jiggled but have had no success with re-engaging the mechanism. Do you know if there is a particular technique or direction to engage it?

I suspect I will have to take off the door panel to make it re-engage. But I really would prefer not to if it is possible...Do you think it might help if the inside handle is in the opening position or closed position?

I'd prefer not to lift the interior door panel if possible; those silly little clips never go back the same or break in the process!

Cheers

Alan

Guru

Hi Alan

I don't think the interior handle/latch has any bearing on the exterior handle.

The handle is released by sliding back (or forward) a white bit of plastic from the inside of the door. I thought it was possible to pop the handle back in with a push. But if that doesn't do it, then yes, its time to take the door interior off as the handle may be broken or the white bit needs resetting manually.

You may find out if the handle is broken by checking inside the bottom of the door for some chunks of plastic.

have a look at this post with some pictures (half way down) for some pictures of the door interior panel.
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... 3-t81.html
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Hi waterboy, these 2 posts may be of use to you.

Door Panel Removal:
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t160.html

Door Handle Removal:
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t161.html
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

The mechanism will not engage and there seems to be a portion of the spring unwound.
The mechanism will not engage and there seems to be a portion of the spring unwound.
Rear door before starting.
I finally got round to having a look at the read door to see if I could fix the mechanism so it worked. I have included some pictures here. Unfortunately, it will not work. I tried all the steps with the pin. It will sit but not hold to open the door. I think the spring has become pulled out by some means, maybe my son...

Has anyone got any ideas how this may be fixed?

The other door has now started to pull out easily, but still works once it has been reengaged as long as you pull the handle forwards....

Any help appreciated.
I was unable to pull the handle off, and got away with just twisting the panel to reveal the lock inside the door.
I was unable to pull the handle off, and got away with just twisting the panel to reveal the lock inside the door.
The top part of the trim lifts off just inside the glass.
The top part of the trim lifts off just inside the glass.
Then work your way round the trim carefully separating the plastic clips from the door.
Then work your way round the trim carefully separating the plastic clips from the door.
This is the first torx screw to undo in the handle.

Guru

Hi waterboy, thanks for the update
I was unable to pull the handle off,
I suggest this is a job for your son as the handle just pulls off. Pull it hard and it pops off the shaft.

This will allow you greater access to the handle mechanism (which really is needed as its quite tight in there)
That's the difference between the old shape car and the facelift model.

follow these instructions to remove the parts you need to get a good look at the spring:
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t161.html
The post above also contains pictures of the part you have a problem with (it shows the spring in its correct position)

You need to drill out the steel pop-rivets to get the part out to reset the spring
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t162.html
This post also has a picture of the spring.

Getting the part off the car makes the job so much easier. You will have the handle and the locking mechanism to hand and can simulate the door opening/closing off the car to see how it all works. This should show if a bit is broken, or just out of alignment.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Having drilled out the rivets, what would you recommend to replace on refitting?

Also, if I find it faulty, how easy is it to obtain a replacement part at a sensible price....?

Thank you for you help so far.

Guru

what would you recommend to replace on refitting?
I replaced mine with more rivets - the only choice really for a one sided fix. I had some ally rivets left over from a previous job which did the trick. You can get similar pop rivets to the ones you remove from here on eBay

The pop rivet gun was just like this one,

There are door handles showing up on eBay, in various states of painted, not painted, new, old. The same handle fits the Peugeot 307 so that helps open up the choice. Have a look here for Citroen C3 Door Handles

Guru

To replace the rivets that I had to drill out on my door handle I used some Aluminium Pop Rivets 4mm x 16mm (click for eBay listing).