Strange red switch

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Gizmo91

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 97100
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I recently bought a Citroen C3 03 plate. On the right hand side of the steering wheel is a red switch. When the headlights are on the switch will light up (if in the right position) but its not on the rest of the time. It also spins 360 degrees. I was wondering if anyone knew what it is?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Gizmo91 wrote:I recently bought a Citroen C3 03 plate. On the right hand side of the steering wheel is a red switch. When the headlights are on the switch will light up (if in the right position) but its not on the rest of the time. It also spins 360 degrees. I was wondering if anyone knew what it is?
Hi Gizmo91, any chance you could take a picture of the offending item and attach it to the topic. Thanks! :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Hi Arfur Dent, will upload tomorrow when i get back in the car

Here is the images of the strange little blighter when it is on and off.
Attachments
Photo0194.jpg
Photo0193.jpg

Guru

Thanks for the the pictures.

I can say, that the red switch is not a citroen part. :shock:

The place that the red switch is located is the space reserved for the electric mirror adjusting found on some models.
electric mirror adjustment control knob on a Citroen C3
electric mirror adjustment control knob on a Citroen C3
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

So any idea what it could be? It will only light up when the lights are on, so I thought maybe it would have something to do with the lights, but there seems to be no change when you flick the switch on and off.

Guru

Gizmo91 wrote:So any idea what it could be? It will only light up when the lights are on, so I thought maybe it would have something to do with the lights, but there seems to be no change when you flick the switch on and off.
Lots of things light up when the lights are on, the cigarette lighter is a good example, and so is the air con control panel.

I would remove the switch and see what the wires are connected to.... see what the switch actually switches, you never know, it may not be connected to anything other than the illumination circuit which brings on the red light when the headlights are on.

You can see up into the space behind the switch if you have a torch and scrabble around in the footwell.

You can listen out for the click of a relay when the switch is operated, it may be under the bonnet, in the glove box, behind the switch or somewhere else, then follow these wires to see what is switched.

If you find what wire it connects to, note the colour of the citroen wire and the colour of the plug at one end of the wire, the number of connections on the plug and what it plugs into. This can help identify it from the diagrams. Clear photos can also help.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Could be that extra fog lights or driving lights have been added at some time.

Looking at the quality of the installation I think I'd be looking to trace any wires and remove them.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Just an update. The strange red switch is actually my front fog lights