Squeeking wheel

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: mikesimp19

Contributor

I dont think this will have any relation to the fuel type, but it is a Diesel 1.4 16v just in case 2007.

So I was driving today and have the front passenger window down, and there is a really high pitch squeeking. I havnt really done much with wheels, so dont know much about bearing or anything, however, when turning corners, squeek disapears.
It sounds like a rotaional issue, as in it isnt a constant whine, and as speed increases so does the frequency of the squeeking!

Just to also add, does not increase when breaking, so I dont think it has anything to do with the breaks.
But I am happy to be proved wrong

If anyone could provide a solution or any possible ideas that would be great.
And as always, a picture tells 1000 words, so any images would be great!

Again, as always, thank you in advance for any feed back and comments.

Mike
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

So I was driving today and have the front passenger window down, and there is a really high pitch squeeking.
Usual suspect is the wheel bearing. Makes rumbling noises, brakes tend to squeal.
Just to also add, does not increase when breaking,
Sometime these noises disappear when braking, which points to brake. You say it doesn't increase. but does it stop when you brake?

Its easier and cheaper to check and clean the brakes than replace the wheel bearing, I would strip out the brake pads, clean the caliper and reassemble, and while the wheel is off the ground, check for play in the wheel bearing. If you find the pads or discs are worn, replace them in pairs (new pads for both sides or new pads and disks for both sides).
My Name: mikesimp19

Contributor

Doesnt stop untill the car is at a standstill, and when turning corners.
So continues even when breaking, and is present at all speeds!

So basically take the wheel off, and clean everything I see?
I have never changed pads or anything.

Fairly easy to do?

And if it continues then change the breaks on both sides, and if THAT doesnt fix it then play with the bearings?

Thank you C3CAR for the fast reply.

Mike
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

So basically take the wheel off, and clean everything I see?
Its going to need a bit more than that. I would separate the caliper, check the shims are not broken, clean the bits that the pads touch and have a very good look. The 2 halves of the caliper slide on a shaft as the pad wears to take up the slack on the opposite side of the hydraulic piston, its worth cleaning these points of contact too.

You also have the opportunity to check for play in the wheel bearing while the car is safely resting on an axle stand.

If you are new to wheel bearing and disk brakes, I recommend the Haynes manual. This one covers the 2007 and has loads of pictures and words covering brakes, including step by step instructions on dismantling and information on wheel bearing testing - way more than I could write here.

Useful tools for changing pads are a can or 2 of brake cleaner (via Amazon) and a piston rewind tool to get the new pads in.

And if it turns out to be the wheel bearing, then the haynes manual will be of great value there too.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

While the brake pads are out check that the dust caps on the pistons are in place. I had one that was missing, impossible to see while everything is in place but the symptoms - a squeak!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: