squeal happens intermittently (Few problems with my C3)

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: eastonch

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hey Guys,.

It's my first post here, but still, I've got a few issues with my Used Citroen C3 02' reg.

Here's some info on the car:

Make: Citroen
Model: C3
Colour: Black
Engine Size: 1.4i

Here's a snippit from the message I sent to Arfur who recommended me to post here.

"When I purchased it, I saw the condensation in the headlamps, thinking that he'd just valeted it, I thought this would be normal and clear up, It hasn't, and after reading on this forum and others, it looks like it needs some attention.

Another thing, my (so far) driver's side headlamp squeels when I put the headlamps on, the dipped lights are fine however. I've read there's a positioning button I can use, I'll try that tomorrow.

Another thing is that the squeal happens intermittently, and sometimes happens when coming off the clutch, at first, I thought it was the clutch when it was biting, but this seemed to have cleared and honestly, feels like the assembly in the headlights may not be getting enough power, with the squeal happening when I change something with my pedal position or clutch, etc. It's random, and hard to detect a pattern however.

Any assistance here is greatly appreciated, I just didn't want to go to a garage blind, having some form of research may speed the process up, and cut me some costs on investigation. "

Again, thanks for any assistance, and hopefully I'll be able to go to a garage tomorrow and get some things sorted.

Also, is there any links to a manual for this car? There's a few things I'd love to work out, including Tyre Pressure etc and other things that the Manufacture reccomends, any ideas?

Cheers,
Chris.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum Chris
eastonch wrote: I saw the condensation in the headlamps,
Its a classic problem with the C3 owners not correctly refitting the water tight seal over the lamp access aperture - its a right pain to get right, this post (water in the headlights) has lots of information about the problem.

eastonch wrote:driver's side headlamp squeels when I put the headlamps on
This could well be linked to the sam water in the headlights problem.

eastonch wrote:with the squeel happening when I change something with my pedal position or clutch
the water slopping around shorting out the electronic headlight adjuster?

With all this going on, you can try clearing the water out and seeing if it all sorts it self out, or just fit a new headlight assembly and not bother with all that messing around (you also get to fit the lamp access cover when the unit is out of the car - a real 'plus'!)
You can get one here: Citroen C3 Headlight (Drivers Side - with motor)
Citroen C3 headlight assembly with motor
Citroen C3 headlight assembly with motor
Tyre Pressure
Your Tyre Pressures are found in the passenger door shut.

This post shows the panel that has the tyre pressure information you need.

and other things that the Manufacture recommends, any ideas?
The citroen supplied manual is not so easy to read when it comes to maintenance, I think you will be disappointed.
I thoroughly recommend the C3 Haynes Manual, they have the maintenance schedule laid out nicely and include the information on how to carry out the tasks, even if you use the instructions to decide that its worth someone else to do the work :)

Contributor

Hi C3Car,

Thanks for the hints!

I took it to a local garage, gave him the chance to give it a quick look over.

Here's what we decided.

Front Off-side tyre needs replacing ASAP.
Engine Sump has JUST started to seep a small amount of oil, nothing that was dripping, however visible dampness.
Rear Window demister is broken, appears the circuit for the demister is broken.
Front jet washer needs replacing, passenger side along with a new 't' pipe.
Brake Disc/Pads needs doing on the front.
Both headlamps needs replacing in the near future, starting with the passenger side (details below)

Here's the sinch.

Engine Sump
You can't get one! -- Only Spares/Repairs or a main dealer (75+VAT!+POSTAGE!)

Jet Washer
T-Pipe -- I can't find this, but he assures me it's cheap.

Brakes
The 25% Imbalance on the MOT indicates i need this sorting quickly, around £40 for a front set.

Tyre
Close/On the legal limit, it would also appear the tracking off on the tyres, causing one side wear more than the other,

Headlamps
Here we go!

Driver side: We tried to dry the headlamp out, but with no success and unable to even pop the headlamp out of it's 'clip', we gave up, drilled two medium sized holes in the front plastic and used compressed air and a dry/wet vac to drain the headlamps. We also 'snipped' the Red wire for the motor, since they were already balanced, and didnt make a different, since it didnt move up or down anyhow, and has stopped the noise, the headlamps are fine.

Passenger Side This headlamp was severely wet, it was swimming, we got quite a large amount out of this one with the same method as above, we then sealed the holes up with Clear Sealant, but afterwards, qucikly steamed back up once the lights came on.

We couldn't seem to get the headlamps out, I'm going to do some research before I go back there, to see if I can point him in the right direction.

I also changed my tyre pressure, which according to 'autodata' says 33 PSI rear and 30 PSI front, what a difference to the 17/15 that it was currently sitting at.

I've also noticed fuel consumption is a little bit on the high side, what can I do about this? I haven't got an accurate reading since the trip computer can't be right, I can't of done 110 miles in the last two days, I've only been around the doors and to a local town, and my first attempt at a motorway. Nothing in the range of that.
I think I'm getting something like 20-25MPG, nowhere near the 38+ MPG it says on the website on this model. I know it needs a service, but how much of a difference will this make? I think the tyres on the right pressure has made a good difference so far, but since I only did that tonight after my fuel light came on.. I'm unsure.

Back Demister

Almost forgot...

Basically, the circuit is broken, looks like on the passenger side in the boot, something was stood up and it's scraped some of the contact off, however...

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... yId_255229

Looks like my saviour (also on ebay, more expensive than this! surprisingly!).

Picking a tube up tomorrow, and praying for the best, the bottom contacts seem worse than the top, and the guy said that the top should still work, but it appeared neither did.

Key Fob

Sorry for ranting on guys, but I'm a perfectionist, I knew this car was a little bit of work, and I'm making myself a list of things to do before Ihead off to uni and need to work on it down there.

I have two keys, one of which, doesnt work, only one button does, and from a very short range. I'm attempting to change the battery tomorrow, however unsure if this will make a difference, worse case is I need a new KeyFob Set, but with seeing some faff' on some youtube guys have had, I'm reluctant. Transponder chips? Just isnt english.

Anyway, thanks for reading my small rant. And any info on any of the problems is greatly appreciated, I'd also like to thank the owners of this forum for a safe haven for C3 owners to be able to come on and find help to their problems.

-- I'm also in the process of tracking down a Haynes Manual, since Halfords didnt have any when I walked through their doors today. (Ebay has some, but I may be able to acquire one cheaper).

Thanks,
Chris.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Mileage: 100000

Thanks for the update eastonch
Engine Sump
You can't get one! -- Only Spares/Repairs or a main dealer (75+VAT!+POSTAGE!)
It is usually the gasket that leaks, rather than the actual sump.
The sump gasket is listed for sale here and you may just need to change that, depending on where the 'dampness' is.

Jet Washer
T-Pipe -- I can't find this, but he assures me it's cheap.
windscreen washer 'T' piece - eBay - cheap.

They have washer pipe too.

Brakes
The 25% Imbalance on the MOT indicates i need this sorting quickly, around £40 for a front set.
Lets hope its the pads and discs and not the calipers. Euro Car Parts (click here) currently have 20% off pads and discs - quote 'WEBSAVER20' at the checkout ;)

-- I'm also in the process of tracking down a Haynes Manual, since Halfords didnt have any when I walked through their doors today. (Ebay has some, but I may be able to acquire one cheaper).
Amazon have Haynes Manuals for the Citroen C3 2002 to 2009 models.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Once again Arfur,

You've saved my bacon.

I looked at the underside of the car when it was on the ramp the other day, it looks like it's coming from the bottom corner, and there's not much rising about an inch of the bottom, which indicates there's a leakage / seeping of Oil coming through, it also doesnt look in the best of health either, a replacement was found for £37.50 inc delivery with 6months guarantee from a used seller this morning.

I purchased the Haynes Manual last night, that;s on it's way.

I'll get the washer/jet/stuff tomorrow after I've looked at a local Scrap Yard since I need some washer jets too, I know they're cheap but if I can find potentially the entire kit on a car tomorrow, then why spend on new? Since it really is just pop and plug on these parts.

Thanks!
-Chris.

Guru

Key Fob

The key fob post is on the tips section , it may be of use to you and if you gain any experience on your journey, feel free to add to it :D
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Let's have an update.

KeyFob working! -- Replaced battery in one of them and everything is fine.

Boot opens up, but doesnt always close, going to investigate the micro switch tomorrow.

Rear Demister still failing to work, even after the repair paste, so I assume there's something else wrong here, there's no blown fuse and there's this 'click' when I first press the demister button.

Headlamps are going to be replaced due to the water build up. (near future)

Engine Sump was ordered earlier and is being delivered tomorrow morning, fitting on monday (Used, 6M warranty).

Purchased a adaptor lead for my Stereo so that the 7 + 4? pin would be swapped and all the electrics work / memory saves. Purchased a new stereo too, working on the stalk adapter.

Still need to get the Washers, boot stay, T-Pipe, Brakes sorted.
Gears have become less stiff over a week of general use, this is good, it no longer takes lots of strength to move a gear, possibly it's just been sat for a while prior to purchase.

Any further help for the rear demister would be helpful! It's strange, since everything on the backend works, except this. :S.
My Name: P1darbs

Contributor

For the demister check the wiring loom for breaks in it...
I had a similar issue with a door window and I traced it back to a wire that had some how broken IN THE LOOM!
Simply connect a piece of wire to the demister and connect to the source prior to the break.

Guru