Spring has sprung again

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: zebedee2001

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Are C3 springs really that prone to snapping?
I am changing a spring on my 59 plate C3 for the fourth time due to it snapping (2nd time on this side). That will be the 6th or 7th time i've changed a spring on a C3 (the others on the wife's old car). I've had the 59 plater for 8 years making it a 2 yearly event. I will admit I never change the springs in pairs due to the hassle!

I noticed that the Citroen original spring all snapped at th narrower coils meaning the sring then goes down past the cup & my repalcements (Sachs) snapped in the middle, except the one today that snapped on the bottom smaller coil.

It is worth noting that there are several spring variants. Power steering & roadwheel size come into play. Early on a motorfactors insisted they had got me the correct spring but I found it bulged to the side & rubbed on the body work. Taking it back out & omparing to the broken sring you could see that it had an extra part of a turn at the bottom end.

Enough of my ramblings!
IMG_8929.JPG
IMG_8931.JPG
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi

Looks like you are missing a part. The spring catcher is not present.

It won't stop the spring breaking, but it does stop the broken spring from shredding the tyre.

The springs have been improved over time, so they differ from factory. That's why they should be changed in pairs.

Mine don't break very often, but the roads are quite good and loads are not very heavy.

Everything comes down to a price, did you buy the cheapest springs available?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: zebedee2001

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

My car has never had spring catchers (I've had it from 3 years old). Wife's car did. Previous springs have been Sachs from Eurocarparts. I believe Citroen do fit Sachs parts....unfortunaely the only ones I can find are from GSF at the moment & are Lesjofors (whoever they are). There seems to be a distinct lack of springs for a 15" wheel with aircon. 14" variant are easy to find!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

zebedee2001 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:47 pm My car has never had spring catchers (I've had it from 3 years old).
You used to (not sure if you still can) get the extra parts as a kit. Fitting it may save you some money in the long run should another spring fail :shock:
My Name: Decking

Contributor
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 40000
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed

Have a look on AutoDoc, springs for front and rear axles, panarama sunroofs, sports etc varying prices from £30 -£70 per spring but alway a discount to be had. I would always swap both sides, even if only one has gone, they weaken over time and terrains.
Current motor Volvo XC60 D5
RTFM