Service light on - top up coolant warning

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: tanith_smith

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 88000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV6 16-valve diesel (92 PS)

My service light is fixed on, and the warning log is saying ‘top up coolant’. I did that yesterday (added about a litre to bring it up to the max mark) but the service light is still on, and the warning log is still there tonight. Level is still at max.

I only bought the car 9 days ago, so I may be missing something really obvious!

Am also getting various ‘faulty bulb(s) warning messages ... but they come and go and all bulbs appear to be functioning ok. They seem to have cleared now, so will ask for help on a separate post if they crop up again.

Would really appreciate any help that can be given!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: No
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

tanith_smith wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:04 pm My service light is fixed on, and the warning log is saying ‘top up coolant’. I did that yesterday (added about a litre to bring it up to the max mark) but the service light is still on, and the warning log is still there tonight. Level is still at max.

I only bought the car 9 days ago, so I may be missing something really obvious!

Am also getting various ‘faulty bulb(s) warning messages ... but they come and go and all bulbs appear to be functioning ok. They seem to have cleared now, so will ask for help on a separate post if they crop up again.

Would really appreciate any help that can be given!
Hi

There is a post on here that had a similar problem and the coolant level sensor had become contaminated making it read the level (or lack of it) incorrectly.

1.4 HDI Coolant temperature gauge red light flashing is the topic.

You have a problem because checking the levels is basic buying advice and the coolant levels don't change that quickly or even between services.
My Name: tanith_smith

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 88000
Trim Level: Airdream+
DPF: Yes
Engine name: DV6 16-valve diesel (92 PS)

Thank for the reply /information - I actually can’t remember if I looked at the coolant level when I was checking the vehicle! Stupid, I know. The clutch went on my old car on the Wednesday (Vauxhall Meriva), and I think I was a bit overexcited to find this Picasso two days later, less than a mile from home, that was well-maintained and had had lots of work done (new clutch in May 2019, all brake discs, pads, filters, water pump and timing belt etc. in October 2020).

The service light did actually go off Sunday night, and hasn’t come back on since - no drop in level from max either (yet). There’s no sign of discolouration or bits in coolant that I can see.

Fingers crossed, will keep monitoring it for the moment.