retrofitting cruise control

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: chris-durham

Hi guys,

i have a 2004 c3 hdi desire. I have been tring to find information regarding retrofitting cruise control to it.

I know the exclusive version had this fitted as standard and the buttons were on the steering wheel.

Ive seen some posts suggesting that the peugeot/citroen cruise stalk fits and the main dealer can then re-programme the ecu to recognise cruise?

Anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks

Chris
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Chris

Did you find out any information about upgrading to cruise control?

I have has a quick look at one of the diagrams for the cruise control on an early C3. There is a switch on the clutch pedal (which is probably not fitted to non cruise cars), and what looks like an extra brake pedal switch (which may or may not be fitted already).

The actual cruise seems to be controlled by the engine ECU, so as you say, it will need programming via the BSI/OBD to make the car utilise the extra components and run the cruise control program.

I don't know which switches fit, but the switches do connect to the com2000 unit (which is the module that has the indicator stalk, light stalk etc). You will need to check that your com2000 has the connection on it that can take the cruise control switches otherwise you won't be able to communicate with the engine ECU to engage the cruise control.

It would be nice to hear if you have progressed in your project. :)
My Name: chris-durham

hello,

unfortunately, no i got no further with this apart from taking some pics of the com unit, but i cant see the actual connections for the stalk, i dont think it will work - what do you guys think?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+

The socket in your photo, the one above the blue plug looks like the Com2000 diagnostic port. The port is normally hidden behind a sliding cover with a similar socket and cover on the opposite side of the controls. Even cars with cruise as a factory option don't have these sockets populated.

I can't see the connector that takes the signals from the arm/engage/set switches, so I guess its internal and probably similar to the air bag ring as the signal has to flow through rotation of the steering wheel.

Here is a photo of the connectors of an early C3 with factory cruise control fitted, so you may be able to spot the missing plug?
Com2000 Citroen C3 Connectors under steering wheel.
Com2000 Citroen C3 Connectors under steering wheel.
The left hand connector with a white and brown pair looks like they connect to the ignition switch, the green connector on the right carries the signal from the stalks and potentially the cruise control. The blue plug in your pictures (above) looks like an air bag connector.

There are 2 connectors - one blue and one black which were just hanging around in the cowling and not connected to anything.
Com2000 connectors unused
Com2000 connectors unused

The Com2000 fitted to this car is 96 474 025 XT, so this is proved to be cruise control compatible.

I hope this proves useful.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD

C3driver52 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:49 pm
There are 2 connectors - one blue and one black which were just hanging around in the cowling and not connected to anything.

Citroen_c3_spare_plugs_in_steering_column.JPG

I hope this proves useful.
The blue one is used for cars with ESP, the black one is used for cars with 'flappy paddles'.