Removing the automatic windows motor

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: eyalc3

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No

Hello, I own a 2003 automatic C3 (petrol), and my electric drivers windows doesn't work.

After opening the door panel and looking at the motor, I think I can determine that one of those steel cable has broken.
I can hear the electric motor running but I can also see the cables running loose and obviously not doing what they're meant to.

So I found this video which briefly explains how to set the mechanism up;
but I have no idea how to remove the entire thing... It seems like the door is made in one piece, and I have no guesses on how to take it apart (also being afraid of making additional damage).

Does anyone here have any experience with this issue? Any tips on how to get the mechanism out?

Thank you!
Last edited by Arfur Dent on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: embedded youtube video
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi eyalc3
eyalc3 wrote:After opening the door panel and looking at the motor, I think I can determine that one of those steel cable has broken.
I can hear the electric motor running but I can also see the cables running loose and obviously not doing what they're meant to.
I think you have found the problem, solution is to change the whole unit (minus the glass). I suggest you get the replacement parts first, from this selection Window motors and regulators for the C3 on ebay. The advantage of this is it can help you see what needs removing to fit it and you can get it all done in one day.

You need to remove the door panel (door card), which you have already done, https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t160.html
Remove all the white foam insulation.

To separate the glass from the regulator release the clip that holds the glass to the mechanism. Do this when the window is fully closed and taped in the closed position (so it doesn't try to open when its disconnected).

If you break the clip, there should be one on your new unit, but you can also find them here

With the glass secured to the door frame, you can go about removing the regulator.

A couple of screws to remove that attach the glass guide to the door.

Drill out the four rivets that hold the regulator to the door frame, disconnect the electrical connector to the motor and remove the damping pad to give you more room.

You can then manoeuvre the regulator out of the door panel.

Use new rivets to re-attach the replacement regulator, and patch up the insulating sheet with gaffer tape. (you will only need a cheap pop rivet gun kit. There is find gaffer tape on ebay.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: eyalc3

Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Automatic PRND

Wow! Great information!
It sounds doable, I think I'll try and do that.
So the price for the regulator is around 25 gbp?

Thank you, very much appreciated!
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Wow! Great information!
It sounds doable, I think I'll try and do that.
Yes, its fiddly, needs small hands :) and some patience ;)

If you can take some pictures as you go, it can help you remember how bits go back together and you can upload them here to help make the procedure above more clear. :D
So the price for the regulator is around 25 gbp?
They go on ebay from about £25 to up to £80. Of course that's second hand. I have no idea what a new one costs.
Check you are getting the right one, correct side, front/rear, year (2002-2005/2006-2009) etc.

Thank you, very much appreciated!
That's ok, good luck!
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)