removal of the whole head lamp unit

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: mikesimp19

Contributor

Two quick questions, not sure these are in the right place, firstly,
removal of the whole head lamp unit, I had a friend try replace a bulb, he managed to snap the H7, so there is now have an H7 in my headlamp unit, and I would really like it out.
Also, I have found these...H7 100W 5000K Xenon HID Super White Effect Look Headlight Lamps

Citroen C3 100w H7 upgrade option
Citroen C3 100w H7 upgrade option
h7_100w_headlamp.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 264 times

How much bother would I get in with these?

Would the cops pull on these?

And MOT wise?

not worth the hassle?

Thoughts and comments would be great! Thank you
Mike
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum mikesimp19

Also, I have found these...
I would be very careful, the 100w lamps will draw more current, potentially needing fatter cables and a stronger fuse box, the C3 is not known for its bomb proof electrics, quite the opposite really :(

How much bother would I get in with these?
If you don't draw attention to yourself, the are likely to go unnoticed

Would the cops pull on these?
Unlikley, unless you set off the ANPR for other reasons, they are not going to check.

And MOT wise?
I don't see a problem, the tester is looking for alignment, fogged headlights, lamps not working

not worth the hassle?
Definitely NOT worth the hassle, as you have found out changing the lamps is ridiculously difficult, something you don't want to do very often. Those 100w lamps get hotter and in my opinion, not less likely to fail.

Your choice: H7 H1 100W Xenon Upgrade Headlight Bulbs Dip Main Beam Supreme White Light

My Choice: H7 Extra Life, Brighter, Whiter, 55w Osrams

and the H1 version of the same Osram night breaker plus if you wanted brighter lights, but a longer life without the added heat and power draw of the 100w units.

I will probably consider some H1 super long life and H7 version of the super long life if I end up having to change lamps again!

These topics may help you work out how to remove the broken lamp

Water in the Headlights

Citroen C3 Headlamp bulb changing - some photos
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

removal of the whole head lamp unit,
Remove the front bumper (yes, really :P ), then you can get to the headlamp clips and fixings. Easier to refit the bumper with two people :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Before dismantling the car to remove the headlight bulb have you tried to get it out through the hole that it went in by?

I have a flexible grabber which is perfect for jobs like this. With headlights, the great thing is you can see from the front where you're going. If you can't access anything like a grabber, any sort of small flexible stem with something sticky on the end can be tried. Just mind you don't end up with anything else dropping off inside the light :oops:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

I had not thought of using somthing with maybe tape on the end! Thats a fantastic idea! I might try that tomorrow when I get 10 minutes! Thank you for that idea.
If not, bye bye bumper.

Also thank you Arfur Dent for the fast reply, I have bought that set off ebay for the minute, going to give them a go! I think however in the next few weeks I shall keep a very close eye on them, and then maybe have a look at the set you have suggested!

So was just having a look under the bonnet there tonight, right hand side (looking head on at the car) (left hand when sitting in it) - how in the name of heck do we get to those lights? :P

Oh how I love my little car!

Is there a risk then that the fuses could be under too much strain with these lil boys?

I dont want anything blowing up whilst driving!

Ok, one last quickie, attatching DRL lights, I was planning to place them where front fog's should be (I dont have front fogs) - how is the best method to be connecting them?
This site is currently saving my life!
Thank you to all who reply!
Mike

Guru

mikesimp19 wrote:So was just having a look under the bonnet there tonight, right hand side (looking head on at the car) (left hand when sitting in it) - how in the name of heck do we get to those lights? :P
You can get the battery out to give yourself some room, follow these tips on disconnecting the battery to save trouble later.

mikesimp19 wrote:Ok, one last quickie, attatching DRL lights, I was planning to place them where front fog's should be (I don't have front fogs) - how is the best method to be connecting them?
The LED DRLs draw very little current so there is not such an issue of damaging circuits. You could take a fused supply off the cigarette lighter socket, if you can be bothered running a cable through the firewall, or take a fused supply off the white wire on position 9 of the 16 way grey plug on the engine bay fuse box. That white wire is live with the 'ignition' on.

Citroen C3 Fuse Box Locations topic can help you find the engine bay fuse box.

If you want the Daytime Running Lights to go 'off' when the main lights are 'on', just add a 12v relay so its coil is energised by power to the headlights and its switch contacts in series with the DRL supply.

mikesimp19 wrote:Is there a risk then that the fuses could be under too much strain with these lil boys?
Fuse box, connectors and wires (the headlamp relays are part of the engine bay fuse box and not really replaceable), bill sutton has a story about the engine bay fuse box going pop - last page has the gory details. Fuses are cheap to replace, its all the other stuff that's not cheap.

If you wanted to be safe with all the extra watts flowing, you could always run the new lamps (4x100w) off relays and a supply from the battery, but that's more hassle and cost.

mikesimp19 wrote:I think however in the next few weeks I shall keep a very close eye on them
Thanks, a long term test with a report at the end would be nice. ;)

Missing Lincs wrote:Before dismantling the car to remove the headlight bulb have you tried to get it out through the hole that it went in by?
Good call! :D

Contributor

Lots of info for a guy who hasnt done much with cars before!
But thank you!
If at some point you get a free half an hour could we have a chat about the DRL's, i would love if you could break that down for me in easier steps!

Again, I have to say a big thank you for the very fast and helpful replies!

Mike
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Is there a risk then that the fuses could be under too much strain with these lil boys?
I'd be really careful about bigger wattage bulbs. As Arfur says, the electrics on these cars aren't the most robust.

I've fitted 100/80 watts twin filaments to a Toyota pickup (the one the Top Gear said is indestructible) and managed to destroy the headlamp relay. You're proposing a 50% overload, the fuse is probably the only part of the circuit that is rated for this.

There's also the extra heat to consider, between 5 and 10% of the power that goes into a filament bulb is output as heat. You have to ask if those pretty little headlight units are up to it?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Well, i have changed my mind after all this, I am going to go with the Osram ones.
=)
I really dont think it is worth running the risk of making everything go boom!

Guys, thank you for the helpful and quick replies!
Just one last one, is if anyone has seen or knows or a link to fitting DRL's, could you pass that on to myself!
Thank you so much again
Mike
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

mikesimp19 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 am Just one last one, is if anyone has seen or knows or a link to fitting DRL's, could you pass that on to myself!
adding stealthy day time running lights to a 2002 Citroen C3