Remote key range drastically reduced

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: m7891

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 53000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I'm having a bit of trouble with the remote central locking on my 07 C3.

In the past week or so I'd noticed that the unlock button wasn't working as well as it should, until the other day I really needed to press it hard to work. Locking wasn't affected and still had the range it's always had. When I took the case apart and balanced the circuit board on the battery terminals, it worked fine so I figured it was the buttons on the case. I ordered a new one, swapped everything over...and nothing. No amount of fiddling working to make it lock or unlock.

I went to the dealership where they had a look, aligned the connections correctly, fitted a new battery (I wasn't getting the "Plip battery low" message so never thought of that) and discovered that the key only works if it's pressed up against the small window above the driver-side mirror.

They suggested it was either the key itself or the receiver, but they would need to spend time - and thus my money - diagnosing both. Alternatively, I could just take the gamble on it being the key because that's usually the culprit nine times out of ten.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have fitted an aftermarket stereo, but this was months ago so I wouldn't think it's likely to be causing any problems.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi m7891
m7891 wrote:They suggested it was either the key itself or the receiver, but they would need to spend time - and thus my money - diagnosing both. Alternatively, I could just take the gamble on it being the key because that's usually the culprit nine times out of ten.
I would say the key because its been pressed hard, dismantled, reassembled incorrectly and realigned. Where as the receiver hasn't been touched. But the simple test would to just try the other key and see how well that one works.

Contributor

C3CAR wrote:Hi m7891
m7891 wrote:They suggested it was either the key itself or the receiver, but they would need to spend time - and thus my money - diagnosing both. Alternatively, I could just take the gamble on it being the key because that's usually the culprit nine times out of ten.
I would say the key because its been pressed hard, dismantled, reassembled incorrectly and realigned. Where as the receiver hasn't been touched. But the simple test would to just try the other key and see how well that one works.
I don't have a second key, unfortunately. I bought the car second hand and it only came with one.

I suppose, then, I would be as well going for the replacement key without diagnostics. The logic being that having a spare is probably a good idea and so even if it turns out to be the receiver, I'll at least have the full set of keys (presumably - if a new receiver is required I assume the keys are reprogrammed to it instead of needing new ones?).

Guru

C3CAR wrote:I suppose, then, I would be as well going for the replacement key without diagnostics. The logic being that having a spare is probably a good idea and so even if it turns out to be the receiver, I'll at least have the full set of keys
Yes, two keys are better than one :)
C3CAR wrote: (presumably - if a new receiver is required I assume the keys are reprogrammed to it instead of needing new ones?).
A new receiver won't need the keys programmed to it, so you can just use your existing keys should you need to change the receiver part.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Not all models came with two keys, something that surprised me, ours didn't.

Adding an extra key is a good opportunity to check for other keys programmed to the car and to remove them if they are missing.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Guru

Missing Lincs wrote:Adding an extra key is a good opportunity to check for other keys programmed to the car and to remove them if they are missing.
Its a quick check with lexia to see how many keys and remotes are programmed to the car.

Contributor

I phoned the dealer today - £120 for the key plus £100-something on top for programming. Apparently C3 keys are the most expensive...joy :roll:

I guess I've no option, though. I've paid for the key now because it's cut to order, but I was damned if I was paying for the programming until I know it works. Would be interesting to see what happens if they can't get it to work because it is indeed the receiver that's faulty!
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

If this were mine I'd do a bit of shopping round.

When I did our spare key I had to get the key body from Citroen, its the only way I could get the transponder and remote to work. The blade was a genuine OEM from ebay cut at a local shop from the existing blade. I can't remember the exact price but I know it was significantly less than you're being charged.

Programming cost me nothing unless you count the cost of buying a Lexia tool which I'd got anyway and still was a lot less than the price you've been quoted for key programming. I had a quote from a Citroen garage to do the job which I seem to remember was around £50.

The amounts you're being asked to pay could be down to the car being post facelift, ours is pre, somehow I don't think this is so.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

The person I spoke to on the phone seemed quite insistent that I could only get the full (cut) key and nothing less. In other words, it was pay £120 or do without. I, probably naively, assumed that I could only go via the dealer and not contact Citroen direct.

I do at least still have the option of taking just the key and not having them program it, and 5-10 days to look into doing it myself.

Contributor

I had a phone call this morning saying my key had arrived and I'm booked in on Monday for programming. It seems it's only £60+VAT for the programming, not the £120 I was quoted. Still quite steep, though.