Remote Central Locking

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: joefrancis

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 45000
Trim Level: VT
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi Folks,

I'm here to wave the white flag of surrender as I have run out of knowledge and talent in diagnosing a fault with my C3 XTR.

I am a big citroen fan having had 2 x C2's, a Ds3, my current C3 and the newly acquired C4 picasso to fit the sprog in.

Recently the remote central locking on the c3 went crazY and I need your help please :)

I have 2 x two button flip-key keyfob. Both will work if I sit and hold them against the steering wheel without fail, both unlocking and locking. If i take the keys away from the wheel, even as far as holding the key against my chest sat in the drivers seat, neither of the keys work. So far I have tried:

Bsi reset
Reprogrammed keys
Replaced batteries
Replaced the comms2000 unit (like for like serial no. Swap.)

I don't think the Bsi is at fault, would you folks agree?

I am reluctant to think that both keys are now faulty and need replacing, but in my my not so educated opinion, I can only think this is all it can be?

EDIT - When we purchased the car (from new) we had the CAT1 alarm fitted. I believe it's a dealer fit option extra. The alarm seems to be operating normally but could this have any relevance?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Joe
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: No
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi joefrancis
joefrancis wrote:I have 2 x two button flip-key keyfob. Both will work if I sit and hold them against the steering wheel without fail, both unlocking and locking. If i take the keys away from the wheel, even as far as holding the key against my chest sat in the drivers seat, neither of the keys work
Have you tried in different locations in your town? Just to make sure it not some external interference.

New batteries in the fobs, good quality, new one?
joefrancis wrote:I don't think the Bsi is at fault, would you folks agree?
Agreed.
joefrancis wrote:I am reluctant to think that both keys are now faulty and need replacing, but in my my not so educated opinion, I can only think this is all it can be?
Its looking like 2 keys at fault :o

It is possible to have the keys tested, but I am not sure if they test signal strength too

Guru

If you get access to a lexia system you can look for remote fob information, there is not alot there, but it may help. With all the Citroens in the family, do you have one already?

Key and Transponder information from lexia
My Name: joefrancis

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 45000
Trim Level: VT
DPF: Yes

Have you tried in different locations in your town? Just to make sure it not some external interference.

New batteries in the fobs, good quality, new one?
Yes - I've tried them all over. The fault is the same where ever I go in or out of town.

The batteries I used to replace the old ones were proper energiser ones which I've used before and have worked no problem.
Its looking like 2 keys at fault :o

It is possible to have the keys tested, but I am not sure if they test signal strength too
The probability of two faulty keys are small but it's looking likely isn't it :cry:
If you get access to a lexia system you can look for remote fob information, there is not alot there, but it may help. With all the Citroens in the family, do you have one already?
I don't have a Lexia system YET, but I have been looking to invest as there are more Citroens in the family. A couple of questions if I may:

1) Most Lexia systems I find on eBay quote that they don't work with 64bit windows 8. I don't have a 32bit machine - can the software not just be ran in compatibility mode or does it have to be a genuine 32bit core system?

2) If I buy two blank keys, can I programme them using Lexia? Or is it a case of Lexia may be able to diagnose but only a dealer can fix when it comes to coding and re-programming etc?

3) If I buy a second hand key on eBay, can I programme it to the car (using the key in the ignition and hold the lock button for 10 seconds trick) and see if the transmitter will work? Do I just swap the circuit boards over or is the key more complex than this?

Thanks so much already for your help C3CAR

Guru

joefrancis wrote:The probability of two faulty keys are small but it's looking likely isn't it :cry:
If both keys have has the same usage, then they may well fail at the same time. If one is the unused spare and the other the every-day fob, it not likely they will both fail.
joefrancis wrote:Yes - I've tried them all over. The fault is the same where ever I go in or out of town.
One thought. The fobs operate on the 433Mhz unlicensed band which is shared with many other remote control systems. You have proved its not your locality but is there anything in the car or attached to the car that is blocking your remote control signal. I don't know what, but it won't be a Citroen factory fit part.
C3CAR wrote:It is possible to have the keys tested, but I am not sure if they test signal strength too
I had a look online, There are signal strength testers available, so I would imagine an auto locksmith would have access to one. Testing the keys independently of the car will be the deciding factor.
joefrancis wrote: 1) Most Lexia systems I find on eBay quote that they don't work with 64bit windows 8. I don't have a 32bit machine - can the software not just be ran in compatibility mode or does it have to be a genuine 32bit core system?
Lexia won't work directly on a 64bit windows, but there is a solution posted to run Windows 7 64 bit in XP mode. I would imagine its the same for win 8, but I have never tested it.

Its at the bottom of this topic https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t655.html

Its possible to download lexia software without purchasing the hardware. You could do a dry run to install XP mode and Lexia before purchase.

My lexia is on an old and retired laptop that lay unused. It doesn't need to be quick, any obsolete hardware that can run XP and has a USB port can run lexia.
joefrancis wrote:2) If I buy two blank keys, can I programme them using Lexia? Or is it a case of Lexia may be able to diagnose but only a dealer can fix when it comes to coding and re-programming etc?
You can do everything the dealer can do with lexia. Lexia can program keys - remote and immobiliser.
joefrancis wrote:3) If I buy a second hand key on eBay, can I programme it to the car (using the key in the ignition and hold the lock button for 10 seconds trick) and see if the transmitter will work?
You can not add any keys other than your 2 original or any brand new, unused virgin keys to the car. Any other second hand fobs or immo chips will not program to the car with or without lexia.
joefrancis wrote:Do I just swap the circuit boards over or is the key more complex than this?
Swapping a brand new board into your old plastics, blade and immobiliser chip will allow you to program that key to the car.

Interestingly, there is a key programming project in the pipe line. I hope to have a key-programming walk-through in the tips section before long, if everything goes according to plan :)