Rear wiper motor help needed.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: GINGERT

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 150
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi there

I was hoping that someone here might be able to help me out with a problem on my 02 Citroen C3. My rear wiper motor failed and so I brought a new one. I promptly set about drilling the old rivets out removed the old motor and then it dawned on me at just how big these rivets were. These things were huge (see image below) I managed to purchase the rivets I needed from ebay but now i cant find a rivet gun big enough to cope with the 5mm shaft diameter. I popped into to the local tool hire shop and they didn't have anything suitable either. I looked on the web but the big rivet guns are around the £80 - £150 mark which I cant afford. I looked at using a nut and bolt to secure the motor to the body but there's not enough clearance behind the fixing plate to get a nut in.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a cheap but suitable rivet gun.
Huge rivet needing a huge rivet gun
Huge rivet needing a huge rivet gun
Thanks guys

Tony
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi GINGERT,

this one does 5mm shaft and its nothing special, so I guess your rivets have a shaft greater than 5mm?

You could try rivets that do fit your gun, even if they are a bit smaller they will still grip. Its only the rear wiper.

If you can get the black 'top hat off' you could reuse those with different rivets.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Where abouts are you Gingert, it could be that you're close to someone who has a suitable rivet gun?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Hi sorry for the late reply but i've been working away from home.

I live in Eaton Bray which is in Dunstable Bedfordshire. I have tried all the local companies including fabricators but none of them have a rivet gun that will hold this in place. I/we have tried smaller rivers but the size of the holes in the metal body of the boot are just huge in comparison to anything I can find. I did look at getting it welded or at least tacked to the boot lid but I don't think this is a good idea.

If anyone lives near this way and has a tool that will work with this then I'm happy to pay for the use of their time/petrol and I can supply an endless supply of tea and sandwiches...

Thanks Tony
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Just been reading your original post. If the rivet shaft is 5mm have you tried using an M5 nut, bolt and washer as the centre of the rivet rather than trying to set it?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Hi i did think about doing that but the holes in the boot are about 15mm in diameter so whilst the bolt, nut n washer is a good idea id really need something a little bigger so i could put a bigger nit on it, which brings me to my final problem with this and that that there isn't any room to even fit a nut in between the boot skin and the mounting bracket. I hope in explaining this rite. In short Citroen have stitched me up.. I even asked Citroen them self's and they said that they don't have a rivet gun that can hold that rivet... They said perhaps i should purchase the entire door... Got to love them guys.