rear wiper arm has broken

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Kernow70

Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (57)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi all
I have a Citroen c3 hdi 1.4 2007 57 plate

I love this car and have owned from new. It's reliable economical and looks good to boot.

I have had no problems with it until recently when the rear wiper arm has broken on the base by the back window. The wiper now hangs down like a dogs tail. The motor still works but the blade cleans the number plate.

I need to get access to the motor and arm. There is a plastic cover which I can't seem to work how to get off. I am guessing I need to get this off so I can get to the stalk and change it.

Any tips gratefully received.

Thanks in advance
My Name: alsie2

Experienced Member
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 37
Trim Level: Cachet

A bit confused as to your problem. If the arm has broken it should pull off the spindle, if its the spindle broken you will have to replace with a new motor, i think. According to a well known service manual the motor has to be removed by drilling out three rivets. PS. Glad to hear someone likes there C3, for a change.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

If its the plastic cover on the inside of the boot lid, it looks like it just pulls off.
C3-boot-plastics
C3-boot-plastics

Here one of the clips has been released just be levering and pulling at the plastic panel.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Kernow70

Year: 2007 (57)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+

Thanks so much this has helped me no end. It turned out the wiper had broken around the spindle and I need a whole new blade. No drilling rivets, thank goodness. I am trying to attach a picture..
Yes I love my c3 it can get from London to Edinburgh on 3 quarters of a tank of fuel.
Attachments
The plastic has broken around the spindle.
The plastic has broken around the spindle.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

That was lucky, or perhaps it would be better to say, it could have been worse!

When you come to remove the old arm, remove the nut and soak the assembly in WD40 or similar penetrating fluid and leave for a while. You may also find its worth investing in a puller designed to remove wiper arms (most also double up for battery terminals too). They cost a few pounds on ebay and can save you lots of swearing and ultimately a bent shaft when you lever the arm off with a big screwdriver out of frustration :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: alsie2

Experienced Member
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 37
Trim Level: Cachet

Regarding C3's reply. My experiance is that if you take the presure of the blade( under normal circumstaces) by pulling the same away from the glass you can remove the blade with light pressure of a lever. In fact many times i have moved these without recourse to a lever. A bit more detail. The arm has a bias on the spindle towards the base and needs to be squared with the spindle by drawing towards you and then pressing down towards the car body. This should give equal alignment all round the spndle to ease removal. Works front and back, no damage. You will have to do this in reverse when you put the new arm on.