Rear Wheel Bearings fitting into Brake Drums

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: danieldemain

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Purchased new rear brake drums and wheel bearings. Can the bearings be fitted either way round when pressed into the drum both ends of the bearing are identical apart from the part number stamped on one side. Cheers
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

danieldemain wrote:Purchased new rear brake drums and wheel bearings. Can the bearings be fitted either way round when pressed into the drum both ends of the bearing are identical apart from the part number stamped on one side. Cheers
If they are ABS wheel bearings then they have to be the right way around but if they are not then they can be fitted either way - unless the paperwork with the bearing says otherwise.

Considering many bearings are damaged while being fitted by an incorrect method it can often pay to buy the drums with the bearing already married, have a look at this link to euro car parts for a price of the difficult part of the job already completed professionally.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Top Contributor

If you don't mind me asking whats the large seal that sits on the end of the inside of the drum. I know my 2007 C3 has ABS I thought this was the ABS encoder not the bearing itself just a bit confused. Thank you. I have access to a press through my workplace the lads in the workshop are going to press the bearings in for me.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Citroen C3 rear wheel bearing in brake drum
Citroen C3 rear wheel bearing in brake drum
2397.jpg (28.92 KiB) Viewed 651 times
danieldemain wrote:If you don't mind me asking whats the large seal that sits on the end of the inside of the drum. I know my 2007 C3 has ABS I thought this was the ABS encoder not the bearing itself just a bit confused. Thank you. I have access to a press through my workplace the lads in the workshop are going to press the bearings in for me.
I don't know what all the parts are called, mine has discs all round. But it has come up before where the wrong wheel bearings have been fitted or fitted the wrong way around and caused ABS faults.

You could be right that the ring in the picture is an ABS encoder, so I guess the drums do it differently than the discs.

This is a detector for finding which side has the encoder, if its in there
ABS encoder sensor for wheel bearings
ABS encoder sensor for wheel bearings
It good to hear you have all the right gear to do the job and sorry if I got the discs and drums ABS confused :oops:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

8 Antilock wheel radial target
8 Antilock wheel radial target
The antilock encoder is the ring that is in the picture above, number 8 and also seen in the other picture

Citroen C3 brake drum and bearing
Citroen C3 brake drum and bearing

Top Contributor

I fitted the new rear brake drums today the ABS ring is fitted to the drum. The ring is rubber covered I did find one of the rings was slightly torn but refitted and ABS light off so job done a few pictures. Indecently I ordered the new drums/bearings from GSF autoparts (click here) if you sign up to there website you get a regular email offering discount of up to 43%. Plus free P and P and delivery is normally next day or 2 days.

IMG_6648.JPG
IMG_6647.JPG
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

danieldemain wrote:I fitted the new rear brake drums today the ABS ring is fitted to the drum.
Thanks for the pictures and update.
My Name: KEVINWCFS

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.4
DPF: Yes
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

danieldemain wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:53 am Purchased new rear brake drums and wheel bearings. Can the bearings be fitted either way round when pressed into the drum both ends of the bearing are identical apart from the part number stamped on one side. Cheers
ITS A LONG SINCE YOUR POST BUT IT IS RELEVENT TO WHAT IVE JUST DONE, THERE IS SOME CONFUSION WHEN BUYING REPLACEMENT REAR HUB BEARINGS, THE NEW BEARING "KITS" COME WITH ALL YOU NEED FOR DRUM/DISK/A.B.S. BRAKING SYSTEMS, SO IF YOUR CAR IS LIKE MINE THERE ARE SOME PARTS IN THE KIT YOU WONT NEED, LIKE THE A.B.S. SENSOR RING AS MY CAR IS NOT FITTED WITH ABS BRAKES,
AS FOR FITTING THE NEW BEARINGS THEY GO IN EITHER WAY AS THEY ARE NOT TAPERED, AS A RULE THE WRITING ON THE BEARING (DIMENTIONS) SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE SEEN WHEN THE BEARING IS FITTED, THAT IS SO YOU CAN ORDER A NEW ONE BEFORE YOU TAKE THE OLD ONE OUT. . ALSO WHEN FITTING THE NEW ONE USE A FLAT PLATE TO PRESS IT IN AND WHEN USING A SOCKET MAKE SURE THE SOCKET ONLY TOUCHS THE OUTSIDE OF THE BEARING AND NOT TOUCHING THE INNER OF THE BEARING OR YOU WILL DETROY IT PRESSING IT IN, OLD BRAKE PADS ARE IDEAL FOR PRESSING THEM IN, PAD LINING ON BEARING FACE. PUT THE BEARING IN THE FREEZER FOR 30 MINUTES AND WARM UP THE HUB, PUTTING IT IN A BUCKET OF HOT WATER WILL DO, A BLOW-TORCH OR HEAT-GUN ETC, IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE RED HOT JUST WARMER THAN THE AIR TEMPERATURE (AS WARM AS A HOT WATER BOTTLE) SHRINKING THE BEARING IN THE FREEZER IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT, I'VE SEEN BEARINGS HAND FITTED WITH THIS METHOD. HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE FITTING A NEW BEARING,