Rear shock mounting bolt query

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Castanley

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi guys, I was wondering if one of you knowledgeable lot would be able to help? I have a Citroen C3 1.6 Exclusive (2010) which has a tired and rattly rear-left shock. The springs aren't looking their best either so I'm planning on replacing both rear shocks and springs soon. New parts are on order.
My question relates to the torx bolt which fixes the bottom of the shocks to the car. Can anyone tell me what size (female) torx socket I need to buy for this? I know a normal hex socket will fit but I like to do things properly. :D
Any advice gratefully received!

Chris
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Castanley wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:23 pm
Hi guys, I was wondering if one of you knowledgeable lot would be able to help? I have a Citroen C3 1.6 Exclusive (2010) which has a tired and rattly rear-left shock. The springs aren't looking their best either so I'm planning on replacing both rear shocks and springs soon. New parts are on order.
My question relates to the torx bolt which fixes the bottom of the shocks to the car. Can anyone tell me what size (female) torx socket I need to buy for this? I know a normal hex socket will fit but I like to do things properly. :D
Any advice gratefully received!

Chris
Hi Chris

The diagram shows a standard hex head bolt (M12 lower and M10 upper)

Citroen C3 A51 rear shock mounting
Citroen C3 A51 rear shock mounting

and a nasty looking captive nut :(

These are usually quite difficult to remove being so close to the road.
My Name: Castanley

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive

Thanks for the reply...
Unfortunately the diagram is incorrect, bolt (2) is a male torx type and not a standard hex one. The retaining clip (4) makes it impossible to simply remove the nut from the front of this bolt and instead you have to remove the bolt through an access hole in the suspension arm.

Chris
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Castanley wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:10 am Thanks for the reply...
Unfortunately the diagram is incorrect, bolt (2) is a male torx type and not a standard hex one. The retaining clip (4) makes it impossible to simply remove the nut from the front of this bolt and instead you have to remove the bolt through an access hole in the suspension arm.

Chris
Thanks for this Chris.

The bolt did change in production at some point, it gets a bit longer but I don't yet know if the head changes too, but it does look that way from your experience.

Yes, the diagram could well be incorrect :(

I think the captive nuts are a step backwards, previous models had a classic but and bolt.