Rear Shock lower mount immovable

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: waterboy

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Successfully changed front shocks on my C3 1.4 HDI. Definitely the harder job. Trolley jack and part of a fence post soon sorts that out. So the rear shocks should be easy. Right? Wrong!!

Top mount bolt no problem. Nut off lower mount no problems, but only the rubber moves no matter how far you wiggle it.

So I pulled and levered until the rubber separated from the metal. So now I've removed most of the rubber as well. Attempts with a mole grip achieve nothing. The head on the back does not move. Is it welded on?

I am thinking of angle grinding the remaining metal ring off, but this could cause more problems.

Any suggestions?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

waterboy wrote:So the rear shocks should be easy. Right? Wrong!!

Top mount bolt no problem. Nut off lower mount no problems, but only the rubber moves no matter how far you wiggle it.

So I pulled and levered until the rubber separated from the metal. So now I've removed most of the rubber as well. Attempts with a mole grip achieve nothing. The head on the back does not move. Is it welded on?

I am thinking of angle grinding the remaining metal ring off, but this could cause more problems.

Any suggestions?
I failed to remove the bottom damper mount nut when replacing the rear springs. In the words of the haynes manual for the C3, you just undo the nut and remove the bolt..... (while supporting the trailing arm with a jack). I couldn't achieve this, so I just compressed the springs to remove and replace.

This doesn't help you remove the damper though :roll:

Have you tried lots of liquid elbow grease/penetrating fluid and a good soaking? Hitting the bolt through from the nut side with a big hammer? There is a warning that on reassembly a new nut and bolt are used and some molykote/molybdenum disulfide grease grease is applied to the contact faces, which would indicate to me the bolt has a tendency to bond to the suspension damper......

I also had to change the rear bump stops, which I found here on ebay because mine were missing (see picture) :o
rear bump stop missing and trailing arm citroen C3 suspension
rear bump stop missing and trailing arm citroen C3 suspension

The bumpstop of the rear Citroen C3 suspension.
Citroen C3 rear suspension bump stop
Citroen C3 rear suspension bump stop
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)