Rear knocking/rattling sound

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: swerve

Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: I dont know
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 15000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi, i have got an annoying knocking/rattling sound from the rear my 2011 C3 vtr+. It happens more when going over cobbles or uneven road surfaces but i cannot find for the life of me what the problem is. anyone any ideas?? is there an inherent problem on this model ??
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Welcome to the forum swerve,

Often the noise in the rear is due to something in the boot that has come loose or has been badly refitted, like the spare, jack, pump or locking wheel nut key. Its worth checking inside the boot first.

Other rear knocking noises are the rear hanger for the exhaust box, but its not common on such a late model C3.
My Name: Andy R

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (61)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 8200
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
DPF: Yes

Hi swerve,

I have had exactly the same problem on my own New C3 1.6 HDI and it has driven me mad for the last 3 years. As the car was still under warranty and as I was not able to see or find anything obvious which was causing this rattling / knocking noise (only at slow speed and over uneven road surfaces), I had the Dealer look at it, when the car went in for its first MOT and Yearly service.

To cut a long story short, the Dealer initially said that they could find nothing wrong, but when the car was delivered back to me, the delivery driver said he heard the noise as he turned into my road. I was not too pleased as you can appreciate and left some appropriate feedback with Citroen when they asked me to complete a satisfaction survey. To be fair to them, they did pick up on my feedback and had the car for another look. This time I ensured that the driver who picked the car up heard the noise. they had the car for two days and in the end refitted and tightened the rear shock absorbers which were loose.

Hope this helps.
My Name: XTR 16V HDI

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 123000
Trim Level: VT

I have been suffering an annoying low speed knock which sounds like anti roll bar drop links
From a quick look under the rear end there is obviously no ARB

I jacked up the car under the beam axle and with a length of 4x2 and a brick levered and dropped the wheel like a bass drum pedal to replicate the knocking sound

Then while watching I slowly levered the wheel up to reveal 10mm of movement before the shock moved

Rear Shock Absorber BOTTOM BUSH totally useless!

This was obviously missed on the MOT - I think they only do the lever test for ball joints on the front