Question about paint & lacquer

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Dazza

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (61)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 25000
Trim Level: Vibe
Gearbox: Flappy paddles
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

After a nasty encounter between my C3's rear N/S wheel arch and a tight driveway entrance earlier this week, I've set about repairing the damage myself. After a lot of searching I got the right paint (Mauritius blue) and, after pulling out as much as I can of the dents, have primed & painted it. While a long way from perfect, I'm reasonably happy with it compared to how it was before the repair, but I'm wondering about lacquer. Instructions say for a pearlescent finish (which the car has) then lacquer should be applied for a correct colour match. Thing is, after priming & painting, I'm fairly happy with the match (keeping in mind it's new paint on a 9 yr old car) and don't want to add the lacquer if it's going to make the work look worse or more noticeable. While I'm sure lacquer will add some more protection, I'd rather not put it on if it's going to undo what I've done so far. I already have the lacquer and don't mind putting in the time & effort needed, but am a bit concerned it might be one of those cases where I end up wishing I'd left it alone. So, if I'm happy enough with how it looks now, should I just skip the lacquer? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Dazza.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Dazza

Properly applied lacquer shouldn't change the colour, it's there to add shine and a layer of protection to metallic paint below.

Adding lacquer to a small area is difficult, unlike the colour layer you can't blend it in to the existing. If you try to 'fade' the edges, the lacquer will be dull and look bad. If there are obvious edges to the area you need to cover, you can mask and spray but beware the the masked edge will show. Usually it's best to re-lacquer the entire panel.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Top Contributor

Thanks a lot for the reply, Missing Lincs - much appreciated. I'll have a go at the lacquering tomorrow or Saturday, once I've given the paint a good day or so to dry after its final coat.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

You might want to have a practice if you've never sprayed lacquer before. The idea is to get a good shiny coat in one go, too little and you don't get the shine, too much and it will run. Once you get the knack it's not too bad to do.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Top Contributor

Thanks again, Missing Lincs - hopefully it'll go not too badly!

All the best,

Dazza.