Programming new central locking remote

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: rcombe

Top Contributor

I am looking at a replacement key for my C3. I know the transponder chip can be programmed with Lexia, but was just wondering if a new remote can be programmed as outlined in the manual, by inserting into the ignition and pressing one of the buttons within 10 seconds, or would this only apply for a chip that has been previously used with the car?

This was the key I was looking at buying.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-C3-2-BUTTON-REMOTE-PLASTIC-FULL-KEY-FOB-CASE-WITH-ELECTRONICS-CHIP-/181144038062
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Even with lexia, some ID46 chips and a selection of keys, I have yet to be successful in programming another key to the car :(

There are 2 types of blade for the key, with groove and without groove, they are physically different sizes and not interchangeable, watch out for that.

The procedure to Citroen C3 resync keys topic won't program new keys to the car, only get already programmed keys back in sync with the rolling code.

Top Contributor

Ok, well I guess I can try and see how I go. Can Lexia program the remote as well?

By groove do you mean at the end of the key shaft?

Also, just a random thing, but when I was a little less familiar with things I bought a new case for key, neglecting to swap over the ID46 chip. After a few trips the car would no longer start, but the odd thing was that the car accepted the key without the chip for a few journeys before it would no longer start. Is there some sort of grace period?

Thanks for your help.

Top Contributor

I'm sorry I'm on my phone I misread what you wrote. So maybe a lost cause? Would a locksmith use a similar method, or is it a job for Citroen? I'm replacing a key that was lost.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Ok, well I guess I can try and see how I go. Can Lexia program the remote as well?
Lexia can program new (as in brand new, never programmed) fobs and the ID46 as far as I can tell.

By groove do you mean at the end of the key shaft?
Yes,
groove and ungrooved citroen C3 key
groove and ungrooved citroen C3 key
grooved and ungrooved, its not just the groove that's different, the dimensions differ.

So maybe a lost cause? Would a locksmith use a similar method, or is it a job for Citroen? I'm replacing a key that was lost.
Well, for me its an ongoing project. There are stories of 'auto locksmiths' making a hash, over charging and not understanding the systems, but then Citroen will charge you and arm and leg....

Missing Lincs has some experience in getting keys programmed, hopefully he can point you in the right direction.

Is there some sort of grace period?
I am not aware of one, but there are mentions of the reader ring having a memory (an unintentional design flaw), which could explain your findings.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I have programmed a new key, its not a simple as it seems especially if you want the remote locking to work.

All the parts of the key can be changed separately, except the remote. The blade, remote or transponder can be put in a new case.

The simplest way to get a new key to start the car is to get one with a blank transponder and clone the transponder from the old key. This doesn't involve Lexia or accessing the cars electronics as the car can't tell the new key from the old.

If you get a key with a pre-programmed transponder, the car will need to 'learn' the key, this involves Lexia and also knowing codes to unlock the system. You need to be pretty confident to do this as all keys must be re-learned and you can end up with no working keys if you mess up.

Adding a new remote is the bit that didn't work at first. If the old remote board works you could transfer it to the new key, obviously this is the simplest way, assuming that as in this case the key hasn't been lost.

I tried an ebay key which turned out to be genuine but I could get the remote board to work, the transponder was fine. After a fair bit of research and interrogating the transponder chip, it turns out that the remote code is written into the transponder when its coded. Then when the transponder is programmed to the car, the remote is also programmed. I couldn't find a way to do this, no doubt it can be done, with a sophisticated transponder programmer, even then you need to know the code from the remote board, nothing on the board gave any clues to what this might be. My solution was to buy a blank key from Citroen, this was more expensive that the ebay key but it has the necessary coding of the transponder already done. It does of course mean that the key has to be programmed to the car with Lexia.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Top Contributor

Well, for me its an ongoing project. There are stories of 'auto locksmiths' making a hash, over charging and not understanding the systems, but then Citroen will charge you and arm and leg....
Thank you C3CAR for the info and picture. A bit more complex than I first thought!
The simplest way to get a new key to start the car is to get one with a blank transponder and clone to transponder from the old key. This doesn't involve Lexia or accessing the cars electronics as the car can't tell the new key from the old.
Thanks Missing Lincs for your informative post. Having the remote working isn't essential, as it will really only be used as a spare. What are the codes to unlock the system? This isn't the code on the Citroen key card is it?

If there's risk of disabling both keys I probably won't take the chance.

If I went to a locksmith with a chip such as the one below, which I think is unprogrammed - It should be able to be cloned from my original key? And both would still work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-PCF7936-ID46-Transponder-Chip-for-Peugeot-Citroen-/290905905311

For the price of a new key I'd almost be better buying my own programmer! Would something like this work?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZED-Bull-ZEDBULL-zed-bull-programmer-V5-08-/

Thanks for your help.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The transponder chip looks to be OK. As soon as the person doing the programming puts it into the programmer, they can see if its blank.

I think getting a Zed Bull is a little over the top unless you plan on doing a lot of new keys? It will do the job if that's your chosen route, however for less money you could go to Citroen and get them to supply and programme a fully functioning key. Many key cutters now offer transponder cloning for a few pounds as part of the cutting service.

As far as the car is concerned, the original and cloned keys are one and the same. The only downside is if you loose either key, you would have to remove both from the cars memory. This is something you might want to do using Lexia for the key you have already lost?

And finally, yes, the code on the card is the one you need. I wasn't lucky enough to get the card, however there are ways to get the code even if Citroen tell you they can't do this and want to replace the BSI!!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: