Power to ignition lost

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: P1darbs

Contributor

I have shorted the ignition by touching what I thought to be an earth connection with a second earth wire. The wire was green & yellow coming from ignition to a 2 pin connector under the steering column.
Now the ignition has no power, no ignition lights, no wipers, no indicators, no windows???
I still have centre display, mileage display, lights and remote functions including central locking.

I have tried the BSI reset nothing. I have checked all fuses nothing... Is ere something Ive missed or is the problem now BSI or ECU... Or is it more likely to be immobiliser??? Ether way I need some help PLEASE !-)

Contributor

Sorry meant to add its a 1.4 petrol 8valve 2002.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

I would check the fuses on the BSI and the fuses under the bonnet including the undocumented 'maxi' fuses before digging into the BSI or ECU.

Do you have a multi-meter too you can use?

Tomorrow, I will look into the wire diagram to see if I can pinpoint the circuit.

More information would be useful, like the colour of the 2 pin plug, a picture of the plug showing its location relative to the steering column and information the earth? was it just a metal point, or another coloured wire, if so, which colour please.

Engine bay fuse box layout for a 2002 citroen
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t157.html
but the 'maxi' fuses are not documented :( (yet)

BSI fuse box layout diagram for a 2002
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t129.html
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Thank you so much for your help... as said & I do agree! I have removed the BSI checked all the fuses? & checked all the fuses under the bonnet?

Hopefully pictures attached
P1. Two wires going into 2 pin connector.

P2. Location of wiring under steering left coming from ignition.

P3. Location of earth point used for bridging. on driverside lower footwell with original wired connection.
P3. Location of earth point used for bridging. on driverside lower footwell with original wired connection.

Guru

Hi P1darbs

I had a look into this for you and it doesn't look good :(

The green and yellow wire on the ignition barrel goes to this plug and socket:
ignition connection under dash to bsi
ignition connection under dash to bsi
This is also shown in your pictures,
then wire colours change at the plug and the green/yellow wire becomes an orange wire and the orange wire becomes a grey wire and end up at the BSI (from the diagram I have), it may be worth checking on the car that this is actually the case before spending money.
BSI orange and grey wires on a 2 pin black plug (AA)
BSI orange and grey wires on a 2 pin black plug (AA)

The other end of the green/yellow wire at the ignition switch connect to the ignition switch terminals and then on to some circuitry in the engine bay fuse box (and NOT a fuse - unfortunately).

So, without further testing, the 3 top choices for being damaged (any combination of 1, 2 or all 3) is the engine bay fusebox electronics, the BSI and the ignition switch.

Out of interest, does the AIR BAG warning show on the dashboard?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Ok thanks for the research and yes you are correct about the wire changing colour??
There is no airbag light coming on infact there are no lights coming on at all.

Contributor

I can only say then at this point that things not working are
Ignition power
Indicators
Wipers
Windows
Power steering and speedo stopped before this problem hence I was attempting a fix... Now properly broken :(

Should I open the BSI board? Is there anything fixable in there?

Contributor

Also cigarette lighter socket & aux socket not working
Heater fan & rear widow heater not working.

Stereo has power although I have no code for it... Lol
Lights work, number plate lights
The middle interior light works but the map readers won't light

Guru

The items you mention that are not working are powered by the engine bay fuse box and controlled by the BSI. Chances are you have damaged the BSI or the engine bay fuse box, or both.

There are several paths to fixing it. (Its up to you which order you do it in).

1.Try a replacement engine bay fuse box (try eBay - here) The BSM is the engine bay fuse box, not coded to the car, match yours by looking for the same connectors.

or

4. fit a replacement BSI/ECU/immobiliser kit (you can't just fit an old BSI because its coded to the ECU - you need to fit all the parts from the same car, as a kit)
Should I open the BSI board?
If you want to see what's inside a BSI on the C3, there is a forum post - BSI - The inside story.
Is there anything fixable in there?
Yes and No, there are companies that can repair the BSI, and if you look at the BSI - The inside story posts, you will see some parts that can be repaired, BUT (and its a big but) , the BSI is not designed to be repaired and you will need some electronics skills and suitable tools to diagnose and repair the thing.

Contributor

Outstanding support!!!
I will go to scrappy in the morning, actually I know of a C3 breaking not far away so ill give them a try if they have the lot I'll get the lot... But I'll start with the fuse tray under bonnet.

Nuff respect for your help... I will keep you updated on progress...
Oh I have emailed BBA Reman they said send the BSI they'll test it £35 + postage... Once tested they can see what options are available??