Power steering rack needs replacement

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: karpis

Hello all!

I have C3 1.4 HDi Automatic 2004 reg. I need to replace power steering rack because mine is faulty. In Citroen service I was told that motor wiring fault - Short circuit to earth. They offered me to fix everything for the 2.2 g.
The question is do I need to look on Ebay for the same configuration car steering rack or it can be possible to fit any of it, like from petrol or other engine sizes?
Thanks

Citroen C3
1.4 HDi 70
AUTOMATIC
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum karpis,

There are several different part numbers for the racks depending on the RPO of the car - find out about the Citroen C3 RPO/ORGA/Birthday here
There are also variants within those dates - I saw a 60 Ampere and a 65 Ampere motor listed. So I think you will be looking for the same spec car as you already have for the donor.

Your other option could be to have your existing rack repaired, as its just the motor. You could try BBA-Reman (via their eBay store) who are known to do that sort of stuff.

I haven't had a steering rack apart, but it would be interesting to see if the motor can be separated from the rack easily which means that only the motor needs to go through the post - cheaper and easier.

As with all those 'diagnostics'
In Citroen service I was told that motor wiring fault - Short circuit to earth. They offered me to fix everything for the 2.2 g.
Its still a guess as I bet citroen didn't do any more testing than check the computer. for 2.2G - that's a new Steering ECU and a new Rack. They change both because its difficult to prove which one is at fault - computer says motor but the computer gets its information from the steering ECU.

I would try to have the motor tested to prove its not the ECU, or test the ECU to prove that, to save going around in circles.

Guru

If you find your cars RPO, let me know and I will try to dig out some more information on the motor for you.

Hi,
Thanks for reply.
My ORGA number is 102210CA.
ORGA.jpg
First I thought the problem is in PAS ECU, because when I connected power directly from battery to steering rack motor it turns my wheels to the left or right. I bought the same part number ECU and swap them. When I start my car power steering starts to work but only just 2-3 seconds and after gone again. There is another thing in steering rack like force sensor or something like that. Might be problem in it or not. I don't know how to test it.

Guru

I bought the same part number ECU and swap them.
I didn't know that this was possible without pairing the PAS ECU to the car with lexia. (I also didn't know that it wasn't possible either).
when I connected power directly from battery to steering rack motor it turns my wheels to the left or right.
That was brave of you. I didn't know that the motor took a straight DC 12v to make it work, thanks for the info :)
There is another thing in steering rack like force sensor or something like that.
Torque sensor.
Might be problem in it or not. I don't know how to test it.
Other than testing by substitution, I don't know any other methods to test the torque sensor.
My ORGA number is 102210CA
10221 is 2 November 2004

C3CAR wrote:If you find your cars RPO, let me know and I will try to dig out some more information on the motor for you.
This is the info I have so far for your RPO

Part Number: 4000.TS, Marked 60DHPJ or 60DHHF - 65 AMPERES ELECTRIC STEERING

Part Number: 4000.WV Marked 60DHLC or 60DHPL or 60DHHH - 60 AMPERES ELECTRIC STEERING

Both are listed for your RPO, so you have a choice.

Hello all,

Thanks again for quick reply.
So mine is 4000.TS, Marked 60DHHF - 65 AMPERES ELECTRIC STEERING. I took a picture of the label on PAS motor where you can see 60DHHF. (60 Amperes is for 14" tyres)
Also I was today at vehicle recycling scrap yard and checked motors on other C3. The thing is that impedance between motor contacts and earth in my car is about 510-540 ohm, but on other cars it is infinite. So I'm thinking maybe just enough to replace the motor (if it is replaceable in general) instead of having to change the entire PAS.
C3CAR wrote:I didn't know that this was possible without pairing the AS ECU to the car with lexia. (I also didn't know that it wasn't possible either).
In my opinion you need to do pairing if you take different part number ECU.
C3CAR wrote:That was brave of you. I didn't know that the motor took a straight DC 12v to make it work, thanks for the info :)
I had nothing too lose. Besides, there is no other voltage in the car to drive an electric motor.
PAS Motor on a Citroen C3
PAS Motor on a Citroen C3
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Hi karpis
karpis wrote:The thing is that impedance between motor contacts and earth in my car is about 510-540 ohm, but on other cars it is infinite.
and
karpis wrote:In Citroen service I was told that motor wiring fault - Short circuit to earth.
Sounds like you have found your problem. Your testing results ties up with the Citroen information they got from the PS ECU.
karpis wrote: So I'm thinking maybe just enough to replace the motor (if it is replaceable in general) instead of having to change the entire PAS.
This could potentially save a fair bit of work, if, as you say, its possible to get the motor off while its still in the car.

It would be interesting to hear how you get on, some photos always help, assuming there is space to get the camera in there :D
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

So I'm thinking maybe just enough to replace the motor (if it is replaceable in general) instead of having to change the entire PAS.
Well - they crop up on eBay for just the motor, so I guess the motor comes away from the torque sensor quite easily.

There is quite a few C3 steering motors, torque sensors and racks on eBay - here so someone has managed to separate the parts.
My Name: iain12321

Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 35000
Trim Level: Desire

My car has just failed its mot for a cracked steering rack. I have taken it off to investigate and have found it is the casting on the rack itself has failed. (Where the torque sensor is bolted onto the rack)

My plan is to keep my motor/ torque sensor assembly and just bolt it onto a replacement rack to save any problems with electrics.

Can I buy any variant of the steering rack or do I have to find the exact same model as mine?

the motor is marked as 60 DHHH?

Thanks

Guru

iain12321 wrote:Can I buy any variant of the steering rack or do I have to find the exact same model as mine?
Hi iain12321, the C3 is identified by its RPO (how to find it) or birthday which identified the day it was made and is found in the drivers door shut.

Citroen lists 3 steering racks for the 1.1 petrol

RIGHT HAND DRIVE SINCE RPO 09975 UNTIL RPO 10286

RIGHT HAND DRIVE SINCE RPO 10287

and

RIGHT HAND DRIVE UNTIL RPO 09974

So I would be careful to pick one with in the correct RPO range.

The same list appears for the diesel 8v, so I would imagine the list also applies to other petrol engine too.

Please keep us informed on how it goes, photos are always welcome ;)