Power steering problem

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: ASH

Contributor

Hi Guy's..

I have recently brought my mum a C3 (2002 1.4 diesel) and was purchased with a power steering fault (the power steering didn't work at all).

Upon investigation, I noticed that one of the multi plugs going to the steering ecu was loose, I plugged it in and hey presto, the power steering worked.

Now I have a problem where if you turn to the right, th
E steering is very light (all seems to be working). However, when you turn left, it seems as though it's harder to turn. Also when you are driving along, the steering feels like it wants to pull to the right.

Anyone got any ideas?

many thanks in advance.

ASH
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi ASH,
one of the multi plugs going to the steering ecu was loose
My first thought would be that some of the connectors in the mutli plug have become contaminated because the plug was loose and the seal was breached.

Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I've had a look and all seems to look ok but I might
Try cleaning them up anyway..

Many thanks and anyone else got any suggestions?.

Contributor

Hi, just tried cleaning the terminals up.

I was just thinking.. is there a sensor that tells the brain when you are turning left/right? what I'm thinking is that if there is, does it trigger a relay for left/right (I'm thinking that the relay could be sticking).

Also, can anyone tell me if there is just the 2 wires going to the power steering motor?? I have checked these and one is an earth and the other is showing 13.8v

Many thanks in advance

ASH
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi ASH
can anyone tell me if there is just the 2 wires going to the power steering motor??
Yes, just 2 wires to the motor are showing on the diagram.

I am sure you will see a voltage/frequency vary as the steering wheel turns, BUT I have no idea if its an AC motor , DC motor or some sort of hybrid servo motor...

is there a sensor that tells the brain when you are turning left/right?
You could be describing the torque sensor, which feeds data to the steering computer, there are no relays involved, its all solid state.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire

I've never worked on C3 power steering but from other vehicles I can say; there will be a torque sensor, this detects which way the steering wheel is turned and the amount of force applied, the signal from this is fed to the power steering ECU. A fault in the sensor would cause the symptoms you describe or it could be a fault in the ECU itself, however, rather than guessing, the power steering ECU has a diagnostic connection. I think it would be worth getting someone with the appropriate equipment to look for any fault codes stored in the ECU.

The motor will only have two wires, it will be driven be circuitry in the ECU, not a simple relay, therefore any readings you take won't mean much. You could measure voltage between the two wires when the steering is moving, but remember the polarity will change and may damage your meter, or you could measure from each wire to chassis. Be careful if things are moving!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Contributor

Many thanks guy's..

I will have another look at everything..

ASH

Contributor

just looking on the internet at thee steering sensor and I also thought that it doesn't seem to have a trip computer (i.e the button on the end of the indicator stalk is dead).. I.m wondering if this is related as by the looks of the steering sensor, it may plug into the same wiring. can someone please tell me if i'm barking up the wrong tree??

I have posted on here before about the trip computer and was told that the model/year didn't have a trip computer but I find that a bit hard to imagine. can someone please clarify for me.

it's a C3 HDI LX 1.4 Diesel

Year: 2002

Thanks in advance

ASH
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi ASH
(i.e the button on the end of the indicator stalk is dead)..
The button on the indicator stalk is the one that activates/deactivates the automatic headlights on those 2002 models that have it. (Exclusive does, not sure of other models, or if it was a factory option). Or is used for the messages on the navi system.
Citroen C3 indicator stalk with button for headlights
Citroen C3 indicator stalk with button for headlights
I also thought that it doesn't seem to have a trip computer
The trip computer is only a basic miles travelled between resets of the 'trip odometer'. Pressing the button on the right of the dashboard is used to reset the trip to zero. Miles then clock up till its reset to zero again.
Citroen C3 2002 trip reset button (also showing fuel gauge, seatbelt warning)
Citroen C3 2002 trip reset button (also showing fuel gauge, seatbelt warning)
I have posted on here before about the trip computer and was told that the model/year didn't have a trip computer but I find that a bit hard to imagine. can someone please clarify for me.
Yes, your question was:
ASH wrote:if I press the indicator stalk, I would expect to be able to flick through the MPG, Miles to go etc.
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... -t190.html
which, your model doesn't do. (2002 HDi LX). No miles to go, No MPG.

But it does have a 'trip' computer - that is, the distance between resetting of the trip is displayed on the dashboard. Pretty basic stuff.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire

Do you have ---- displayed on the dash where the mpg etc would be displayed? If so there is a computer, if not you don't.

Mine is 2004 Desire, it came with ---- on the display, I have since found out its because the original radio has been removed. I've fitted an interface so that the other functions of the right hand stalk, volume control etc now work, since I did this, the trip computer now displays mpg etc.

None of the above affects the power steering, its an autonomous system. It only connects to the BSI (central computer) to get speed information to adjust the amount of assist given to the steering.

My guess is the plug was removed to disguise a fault. If you've tried the obvious, ie putting plugs back, you need proper diagnosis, steering is too important to mess with.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: