Power folding mirrors

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: shockwaves

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 85000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hiya, i hope someone can help..
I've recently just fitted a drivers side power folding wing mirror to my partners 2009 C3 exclusive, as the previous owner had cut all the cables for it to work. That is now working perfectly. However the passenger side one is all connected but the plastic around the folding mechanism is sheared off, again the previous owner put a screw in to hold it all in place.

I'm currently hunting to find a replacement for it, but proving to be very difficult. I know it's got too have a black and brown plug, I just need to know exactly how many wires there are meant to be in total. The drivers side was 9 to include the ac sensor, so I'm thinking it should be 7. When I contact people regarding the mirrors with two plugs they say that they aren't power folding, which I find strange? Is there anyone or anywhere else I can try? Obviously scrapyards are a no go in the current climate.

Hope to hear from you soon 😁
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi

I think you will need the mirror with Citroen part number 8149FP

The diagram for it doesn't show how many wires though :(

But the 8149FN it is found only on the later C3 from 2006, which has heated mirror glass, electric adjustment, electric folding and fitted to a right hand drive.
I expect this to be the exclusives and maybe a few specials at the end of production (November 2009).

You don't have a very large pool of used spares to find the one you need :(
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Cheers for the reply, that's probably the most useful post I've had regarding this issue, no one else has wanted to tell me the part number without money lol!

So does two plugs mean it definitely has power folding then? As electric and heated mirrors only have the black plug?

Would a 3door power folding mirror fit a 5door?

And also, would a left mirror for a LHD car fit a RHD car?

Sorry for the questions, but as you say, there aren't many about, so need to try and make sure before buying haha!
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

There appears to be 3 types of 'electric' mirrors.
1) Just the mirror is adjustable.
2) Adjustable mirror, heated
3) Power fold, heated and mirror.

The the drivers side (RHD) mirror has 2 extra wires for the temperature sensor in the black plug. To my knowledge all 'electric' wing mirrors on the right hand side have the sensor.

Just the mirror, passenger side has 3 wires in 1 black plug. Driver side has 5 wires in 1 black plug
Heated, passenger side has 3 wires in the black plug and 2 wires in the brown plug. I.E. The 2 heater wires are in the brown plug. Driver side, same but has 2 extra wires in the black plug.
Power fold, passenger side has 3 wires in the black plug and 4 wires in the brown plug (2 heater, 2 power fold). Driver side has 2 extra wires in the black plug.

So the drivers side power fold mirror has 9 wires in total and the power fold passenger side has 7 wires. The mirrors on a left hand drive car are the same I.E. the temperature sensor is always on the right hand side of the car (where fitted).

Phew.

Contributor

Would it be correct if it had 4 pins on one and 3 pins on the other plug?

Contributor

That's amazing cheers! Just waiting to hear back from the seller confirming the number of wires in each and should hopefully get one ordered today

That's the confusing thing about all the different options for electric and everywhere else I've asked didn't really know. If you want I can do a how to on how to swap the mirror over including the mirror cap, as I successfully did it on the driver's side 😁
Ozvtr wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:58 am There appears to be 3 types of 'electric' mirrors.
1) Just the mirror is adjustable.
2) Adjustable mirror, heated
3) Power fold, heated and mirror.

The the drivers side (RHD) mirror has 2 extra wires for the temperature sensor in the black plug. To my knowledge all 'electric' wing mirrors on the right hand side have the sensor.

Just the mirror, passenger side has 3 wires in 1 black plug. Driver side has 5 wires in 1 black plug
Heated, passenger side has 3 wires in the black plug and 2 wires in the brown plug. I.E. The 2 heater wires are in the brown plug. Driver side, same but has 2 extra wires in the black plug.
Power fold, passenger side has 3 wires in the black plug and 4 wires in the brown plug (2 heater, 2 power fold). Driver side has 2 extra wires in the black plug.

So the drivers side power fold mirror has 9 wires in total and the power fold passenger side has 7 wires. The mirrors on a left hand drive car are the same I.E. the temperature sensor is always on the right hand side of the car (where fitted).

Phew.

shockwaves wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:30 pm If you want I can do a how to on how to swap the mirror over including the mirror cap, as I successfully did it on the driver's side 😁
I think C3CAR has beaten you. Have a look at his recent post in the 'tips and tricks' area. Of course if you have more to add go ahead.

Contributor

Just an update that I ordered the mirror, came all the way from France, fitted and all folding in as it should be, cheers very much for the help and advice! Only niggly thing left is that the heated mirror connections weren't there but the wires are. Would anyone know what the clear plastic connection is called that attaches to the backside of the glass, and also what size spade crimps I would need for it?

Cheers once again!

Ps it looks something like this I think
Screenshot_20200510-185223_Samsung Internet.jpg

shockwaves wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:26 pm Only niggly thing left is that the heated mirror connections weren't there but the wires are. Would anyone know what the clear plastic connection is called that attaches to the backside of the glass, and also what size spade crimps I would need for it?
I thought the heated mirror glass just had two small spade connectors.
mirror.jpg
I don't know what the "clear connector" is for.
If the spade connectors and wiring are there you can just retro fit heated glass.
Are you saying it has heated glass but a connector on the back and the loom has spade connectors? Sorry but your post is a little unclear.

Contributor

Hiya sorry, yes it does have heated glass as standard. There are two connections attached to the mirror. Then there are two black wires that are meant to have some small spade crimps on them, which then fit into that plastic housing. This then plugs into the the two connections on the back of the glass. I'm presuming it's too try prevent the wires from getting damaged/water on them. I could wire them up without the plastic housing, but as I wash the cars very often I wouldn't want them to stop working, so trying to keep it as OEM as possible.

Hope that makes a bit more sense to you and obviously to others haha 😁