"plip" battery exhausted message

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: C3Nige

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 35000
Trim Level: Cool Summer
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi, Every time I start my C3 recently, there is a bleep followed by an error message in the central console saying plip battery exhausted. After checking with my wife, her key does not cause this message to appear and so I bought and have just fitted a new battery to the key. On starting the car,the same error message appears, so I checked the battery and the voltage reads 3.3V,whereas the original one reads 3.05V. Is it possible I have some other fault with my key or is there a way to clear the error message? Apart from the error message, the key locks, unlocks and starts the key just fine. Thanks for reading.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

C3Nige wrote:Hi, Every time I start my C3 recently, there is a bleep followed by an error message in the central console saying plip battery exhausted. After checking with my wife, her key does not cause this message to appear and so I bought and have just fitted a new battery to the key. On starting the car,the same error message appears, so I checked the battery and the voltage reads 3.3V,whereas the original one reads 3.05V. Is it possible I have some other fault with my key or is there a way to clear the error message? Apart from the error message, the key locks, unlocks and starts the key just fine. Thanks for reading.

Hi C3Nige

Buy this one - the correct battery for the C3 plip CR1620 (click here) and then fit the new battery in the plip (the remote control key unit).

Use a small coin in the slot indicated with the yellow arrow to lever open the key case to replace the internal battery.
Citroen C3 'Plip Exhausted' fix
Citroen C3 'Plip Exhausted' fix

"After a change of battery, it may be necessary to re-initialise the remote control. To do that, switch on the ignition and immediately action button 'A' (lock button) on your remote control to trigger the action desired. This may take up to ten seconds."

Does the locking/unlocking work ok remotely? I am not sure if you lock/unlock manually or remotely?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

HI Arfur, Yes, the key is a remote type and works as it should - either locking or unlocking as required. When the key is inserted into the ign. switch there is the usual 'clunk' wich I guess is the security system (immobiliser) operating, however when the car is started there is a bleep followed by the plip battery spent message and SERV light illuminates for a few secs.

Contributor

After studying the owner's handbook (!) apparently you have to insert the key into the lock, turn to first position and then press button 'A' (lock button). I tried this and at first it still did not reset, so i then tried pressing the button multiple times and it still did not reset - there was no audible beep or message appear in the display so I resigned myself to having to live with the problem. Then on the next time I took the car out the problem had gone - so hopefully it is OK now. Happiness 1 - Misery 0 :lol:
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

C3Nige wrote:you have to insert the key into the lock, turn to first position and then press button 'A' (lock button).
Thanks for the update!
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)