Picasso - should the pads and disks be replaced at 50% wear?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Canoepr

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2015 (15)
Engine Size: 1.6 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 28000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: EGS - electronic 6 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Just had a disappointing service in a small local garrage near Oxford some of the items have been missed
I require replacement front risks and pads . Air conditioning requires recharge . Flat repair wheel and serpintine belt cracking . They want 90 pounds to replace the serpintine belt .the car is a c3 passico 2015 1.6 auto with 30k on the clock.

Should the pads and disks be replaced at 50% wear?

thanks your your comments pete
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Canoepr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 pm Just had a disappointing service in a small local garrage near Oxford some of the items have been missed
I require replacement front risks and pads . Air conditioning requires recharge . Flat repair wheel and serpintine belt cracking . They want 90 pounds to replace the serpintine belt .the car is a c3 passico 2015 1.6 auto with 30k on the clock.

thanks your your comments pete
Hello Pete

The legal minimum for brake pads is 1.5mm.

Mine don't get that low but I get much more than 50% of the life out of the pads.

But if the discs are scored or worn excessively, then they would need changing along with the pads.

at 30K, I don't think you would need new brakes, but I suppose it depends how its been driven?

The serpentine belt is more fiddly than you may imagine and it could be a £90 well spent if you didn't want to do it yourself.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Canoepr wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:05 pm I require replacement front risks and pads .

With a "new" car it will take time to figure out how long it takes for this and that to wear out. The length of time it takes for things like the brake pads to wear out depends on a lot of factors, not least of which is the drivers driving habits! Eventually you will figure out approximately how many miles it takes for thing to wear out. Things that are supposed to wear out!! Brake pads, clutches ETC.

A thing is not worn out, until it's worn out. 50% worn out is not worn out.

The brake disc will have the minimum thickness stamped on the disc. It could be on the outer circumference or on the center of the disc. This is measured from one worn face of the disc to the other.

Good quality brake pads have a groove cut down the face of the disc to the minimum depth of the pad. There is a hole at the front of the brake caliper through which the thickness of the brake pads (and the groove) can be observed. If the pads are worn to a point where the groove no longer exists it's time to replace the pads. Some brake pads don't have this groove but the thickness can still be observed through the hole. As C3driver52 said, it's about 1-2mm as the minimum.

Now it has to be noted that these are the points at which the components are deemed unserviceable. So they should be replaced before they get to that point. Typically components don't ware at the same time or rate. So you might get to the situation where the disc is worn out but the pads are not but it's more economical (convenient) to replace both instead of one then the other.

The minimum a mechanic will charge in labour is about 50 pound. An average charge rate for labour would be (about) 50 pound per hour or part thereof. To change the accessory drive belt would take 15-20 minutes but the labour charge would still be 50 pound. If changing the belt and the two discs and pads takes an hour, the labour is...50 pound. So the takeaway is to get your moneys worth.

Contributor

Thanks if all the advice I use to do all my repair but now I am over seventy and car have more tech getting under a car in the rain I can not do any more .Pete
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Canoepr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:33 am Thanks if all the advice I use to do all my repair but now I am over seventy and car have more tech getting under a car in the rain I can not do any more .Pete
Take it to an independent or national chain (not citroen franchise) garage.

They will do the work for you and cost less than Citroen would charge.

You don't get the citroen stamp in the book, but you did your own maintenance anyway and missed the stamp there.

I have used Formula1 in the past and found them very helpful. Check here to see if they have a centre near you.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

Arfur Dent wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:41 pm
Canoepr wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:33 am Thanks if all the advice I use to do all my repair but now I am over seventy and car have more tech getting under a car in the rain I can not do any more .Pete
Take it to an independent or national chain (not citroen franchise) garage.

They will do the work for you and cost less than Citroen would charge.

You don't get the citroen stamp in the book, but you did your own maintenance anyway and missed the stamp there.

I have used Formula1 in the past and found them very helpful. Check here to see if they have a centre near you.
I would second Formula 1.

Contributor

Hi. I had my front disk and pads changed quote via whocanrepairmycar for 154 very happy with quote and work.at the same time serpentine belt supply and fit 33 + vat my usual garrage 90 including vat I will get quotes in future for all works