Picasso Rear disk brake replacement cost.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Canoepr

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2015 (15)
Engine Size: 1.6 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 28000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: EGS - electronic 6 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi all after 6 years of county driving I have just replaced front disks and pads due to ware and damage to the disks . I am thinking of replacing the rear risks and when required looking at prices the suppliers want a lot more money for the set £85 for the front yet £200 for the rear I now that it includes bearing and roter I expect the rear to last a lot longer the front risks must have roter on . I normally change by cars at 100k but have never seen this sort of price change between from and rear disk s rear risks pads are the rear wheel bearning so prone to early failour thanks for all information stay safe pete
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Canoepr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm Hi all after 6 years of county driving I have just replaced front disks and pads due to ware and damage to the disks . I am thinking of replacing the rear risks and when required looking at prices the suppliers want a lot more money for the set £85 for the front yet £200 for the rear I now that it includes bearing and roter I expect the rear to last a lot longer the front risks must have roter on . I normally change by cars at 100k but have never seen this sort of price change between from and rear disk s rear risks pads are the rear wheel bearning so prone to early failour thanks for all information stay safe pete
Hello Canoepr

I did the rear discs and pads on my C3 recently, the discs and the pads were similar in price to the fronts, a bit less I think. The rear discs on mine are not vented but the fronts are so that makes the rears a bit cheaper because they are just a basic disc.

The Picasso has a different set-up with the bearing in the disc, very strange that they should do this, but if that is what you have, that is what you have to replace. Unfortunately the added cost is the bearing :(

Change discs and pads based on wear rather than miles to only change parts that are actually worn enough to replace.
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

C3driver52 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:14 pm
Canoepr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 pm Hi all after 6 years of county driving I have just replaced front disks and pads due to ware and damage to the disks . I am thinking of replacing the rear risks and when required looking at prices the suppliers want a lot more money for the set £85 for the front yet £200 for the rear I now that it includes bearing and roter I expect the rear to last a lot longer the front risks must have roter on . I normally change by cars at 100k but have never seen this sort of price change between from and rear disk s rear risks pads are the rear wheel bearning so prone to early failour thanks for all information stay safe pete
Hello Canoepr

I did the rear discs and pads on my C3 recently, the discs and the pads were similar in price to the fronts, a bit less I think. The rear discs on mine are not vented but the fronts are so that makes the rears a bit cheaper because they are just a basic disc.

The Picasso has a different set-up with the bearing in the disc, very strange that they should do this, but if that is what you have, that is what you have to replace. Unfortunately the added cost is the bearing :(

Change discs and pads based on wear rather than miles to only change parts that are actually worn enough to replace.
For others, I think you will find the rear discs for a C3 and a C3 Picasso of similar age are likely to be the same discs with the bearings in the disc. Things may have moved on since 2003.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

C3driver52 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:14 pm For others, I think you will find the rear discs for a C3 and a C3 Picasso of similar age are likely to be the same discs with the bearings in the disc. Things may have moved on since 2003.
Yes, but maybe not moved on, but a backwards step?

The wear rate of a disc can be many times that of a hub bearing. Forcing the wheel bearing change on every disc change seems like an expensive and less easy to fit (for a home DIY job) than just a couple of torx heads to get the discs off.
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

I didn't necessarily mean that things have improved, just that they have changed. It is probably less environmentally to have to replace the bearings when the brakes wear out, and it has cost me more than it should when I have had a C3 rear brakes done.