Picasso no power but has 12v

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: etchin_uk

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 43000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Hi, it’s my first post!!! And as always with these things, I am trying to diagnose a fault! Haha

I have just bought a c3 Picasso the other day. It’s a 2011 1.6 hdi exclusive. Previous owner complained that the central locking did not work. Even with a new battery in the fob it would only work for a few days then they would have to use the key barrel again. Now I have had a little look at the car I can see what they mean but I am puzzled as to what is going on. What I know so far:
1. The car drives fine, no warning codes or anything. But the radio/clock does seem to reset itself pretty much all the time.
2. Eco mode is activated if I sit in the car with the engine off and the radio on after a few minutes, so I got the multimeter out.
3. 12.2v is measured from the battery when car is off. And 14v when the car is on.
4. If I lock the car with the key fob and return >5minutes later. There is literally no power to the car. It’s like it has forgotten it’s a car. Even the flashing red light on the door lock button on the dash is no longer flashing. And so the key fob essentially no longer works. I can manually unlock the car, get in and turn the key which brings the car back to life. As if the car has been simultaneously started and unlocked. The car starts like it should, no splutter, clicks or warnings. It’s strange.

Anyone got any ideas of what this could be? At the moment my next port of call is to hook the battery to my other car and see if the >5 minutes the car still thinks it’s a car. Potentially diagnosing a battery issue. Thoughts?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
DPF: No
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

etchin_uk wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:42 pm Hi, it’s my first post!!! And as always with these things, I am trying to diagnose a fault! Haha

I have just bought a c3 Picasso the other day. It’s a 2011 1.6 hdi exclusive. Previous owner complained that the central locking did not work. Even with a new battery in the fob it would only work for a few days then they would have to use the key barrel again. Now I have had a little look at the car I can see what they mean but I am puzzled as to what is going on. What I know so far:
1. The car drives fine, no warning codes or anything. But the radio/clock does seem to reset itself pretty much all the time.
2. Eco mode is activated if I sit in the car with the engine off and the radio on after a few minutes, so I got the multimeter out.
3. 12.2v is measured from the battery when car is off. And 14v when the car is on.
4. If I lock the car with the key fob and return >5minutes later. There is literally no power to the car. It’s like it has forgotten it’s a car. Even the flashing red light on the door lock button on the dash is no longer flashing. And so the key fob essentially no longer works. I can manually unlock the car, get in and turn the key which brings the car back to life. As if the car has been simultaneously started and unlocked. The car starts like it should, no splutter, clicks or warnings. It’s strange.

Anyone got any ideas of what this could be? At the moment my next port of call is to hook the battery to my other car and see if the >5 minutes the car still thinks it’s a car. Potentially diagnosing a battery issue. Thoughts?
Hi etchin_uk

If you don't have a Citroen/Clarion original looking radio in there, remove it (totally disconnect it) and see if your fault clears..

Contributor

The original stereo is fitted (or at least it looks OEM).

I did a search on ebay and this one matches the one I have...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C3-P ... Swqu9VO5Jh
If that link gets removed for being to long - its ebay item number 121939768476

Even if the stereo is OEM, do you think its wise to disconnect it anyway? I read that the head units can become overheated due to proximity to the blowers and that can cause all sorts of issues?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:31 am The original stereo is fitted (or at least it looks OEM).

I did a search on ebay and this one matches the one I have...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C3-P ... Swqu9VO5Jh
If that link gets removed for being to long - its ebay item number 121939768476

Even if the stereo is OEM, do you think its wise to disconnect it anyway? I read that the head units can become overheated due to proximity to the blowers and that can cause all sorts of issues?
That's a shame. An aftermarket stereo wired up incorrectly gives the same strange symptoms as yours.

It won't do any harm to disconnect the radio, it will give you the opportunity to inspect the wiring for adaptors, bullets, scotch loks and any alterations to the original spec. It would be interesting to know if removing the radio makes any difference though.

No, its not an overheating radio problem.

Maybe its not the radio but someone had added something extra to the wrong voltage line, that isn't a radio.

Do you have any 'extras' that don't look or feel 'Citroen'?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

I had a chance to do a bit of tinkering this evening. I can confirm that removing the stereo did not have any effect. No modified wires or anything that looked out of place either. I’d even say that is probably the first time the radio had even been removed.

Regarding any non oem extras, there isn’t anything. There is a slight colour mismatch to the rear bumper so potentially the reverse lamps, rear fog and parking sensors may have been removed/replaced at some point in the past. I could try disconnecting the fuses going to those items maybe? Failing that I could just methodically remove each fuse Individually to see if there is any effect?

I also managed to get at the battery, there was some corrosion to the negative terminal so I cleaned (bit of sand paper) all connection and applied some petroleum jelly. Still no effect.

I can say now with some certainty that after about 3 minutes of the car being locked, all power is lost to the vehicle. I tested this theory by leaving some lights on and even sat watching the lock light flashing until it went off. When the car did die I noticed a very slight click noise inside the cabin, almost certainly a relay.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:42 pm I can say now with some certainty that after about 3 minutes of the car being locked, all power is lost to the vehicle. I tested this theory by leaving some lights on and even sat watching the lock light flashing until it went off. When the car did die I noticed a very slight click noise inside the cabin, almost certainly a relay.
BSI going into a deep sleep, very quickly.

The BSI goes into a deep sleep in extreme circumstances, not very common. When there radio is fitted incorrectly causing a current drain on the wrong wires causes a deep sleep but this is usually only noticed overnight/in the morning. Deep sleep is to preserve as much battery power for starting.

ECO mode is a similar thing but is much more common and much less problematic. It is only a light snooze, compared to a deep sleep.

You can wake the BSI up from its deep sleep by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery or by starting the engine.
etchin_uk wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:42 pm Failing that I could just methodically remove each fuse Individually to see if there is any effect?
It won't do any harm.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

Check the PARK SHUNT on the BSI is in the correct position.
citroen c3 fuse box
citroen c3 fuse box
Failing that, connect lexia/diagbox and check BSI is in CUSTOMER MODE

Contributor

BSI was in park mode! Can you believe it!? I pulled that jumper out and moved it to the next slot marked as “client” and hay presto the car jumped back into life. It’s been locked now and has power even after a few hours. Life savers. Thank you all that helped
Shunt mode Picasso C3
Shunt mode Picasso C3
For the benefit of other finding this. Within the glove box there is the BSI fuse box. One of the items in that board is a jumper as shown above. The position of the jumper should be in CLIENT position. Mine was in park and moving the jumper to client, fixed my issue.

I also found this thread from a puegoet forum that pretty much describes the same issue as I was having. https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/207 ... ion-61082/

Also this attachment for people with other similar french vehicles, will also prove handy when trying to identify the location of the CLIENT/PARK slot on your BSI.
https://autoworld.com.my/forum/index.php ... ch_id=2567

Guru

etchin_uk wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:55 pm BSI was in park mode! Can you believe it!?
:lol: Thanks for the update, picture and extra information :)