Picasso clutch pedal creaking noise

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: clockworks

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2014 (14)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 30000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

After 40 years of driving, I've just bought my first French car - 2014 C3 Picasso Exclusive diesel. Went for the C3 because it's the smallest car I could find that will carry an 8 foot load, thanks to the fold-flat front passenger seat. I repair clocks, and sometimes need to collect/deliver grandfather clocks. No way I could get one into my other car - a Kia Picanto GT-Line S turbo.

The C3 has only done 30,000 miles, 2 elderly owners. Overall it's in decent condition, just a few parking dings and scratches. Everything works.

It does have one issue which is annoying me though. The clutch pedal.

The clutch itself works fine - no slipping, consistent bite point, no juddering, gears change smoothly.
The pedal creaks quite badly, worse coming up than going down.
It also sticks/unsticks several times on the way up - can feel it through the sole of my shoe.
The car drives fine, it's just a pain in traffic.

I removed the under-dash felt panel to try spraying some silicone lube on the pedal pivot and return spring, and someone has been in there before to try the same thing - the return spring plunger was very shiny. I added some more lube, but it hasn't helped.

Any ideas?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000

clockworks wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:09 pm After 40 years of driving, I've just bought my first French car - 2014 C3 Picasso Exclusive diesel. Went for the C3 because it's the smallest car I could find that will carry an 8 foot load, thanks to the fold-flat front passenger seat. I repair clocks, and sometimes need to collect/deliver grandfather clocks. No way I could get one into my other car - a Kia Picanto GT-Line S turbo.

The C3 has only done 30,000 miles, 2 elderly owners. Overall it's in decent condition, just a few parking dings and scratches. Everything works.

It does have one issue which is annoying me though. The clutch pedal.

The clutch itself works fine - no slipping, consistent bite point, no juddering, gears change smoothly.
The pedal creaks quite badly, worse coming up than going down.
It also sticks/unsticks several times on the way up - can feel it through the sole of my shoe.
The car drives fine, it's just a pain in traffic.

I removed the under-dash felt panel to try spraying some silicone lube on the pedal pivot and return spring, and someone has been in there before to try the same thing - the return spring plunger was very shiny. I added some more lube, but it hasn't helped.

Any ideas?

Hi

Pop the bonnet and have someone press the pedal for you, just to check it's not louder at the slave cylinder.

Thanks for the tip

Hmm, it does seem to louder under the bonnet than inside the car.

Any simple DIY fix, or is it likely to need a new slave cylinder?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

clockworks wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:14 pm Thanks for the tip

Hmm, it does seem to louder under the bonnet than inside the car.

Any simple DIY fix, or is it likely to need a new slave cylinder?
Hi

I don't think it's the hydraulics, probably mechanical. Clutch fork bearing etc.

Slave cylinder is considered an easy fix, so it's sounds like leaving it till the clutch needs changing?

10 years ago I would probably have got the spanners out, but I'm not as flexible as I used to be. Reckon I'd struggle leaning into the engine compartment for more than a few minutes.

I was hoping it would be something that just needed a bit of lube, worst case an hour of a mechanic's time.
If it's something that needs the gearbox off to fix, I'll leave it alone.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I would suggest getting a second opinion from someone that can hear the sound before condemning a clutch fork. But if it is the clutch and the gearbox comes out, consider doing the complete clutch at the same time.

At least you won't need to spray any more lubricant on the clutch pedal pivot point :D

Thanks.
Yes, if the gearbox is coming off, it would be a false economy not to fit a new clutch etc. at the same time.
I guess I'll leave it alone until it either gets a lot worse, or the noise winds me up enough to make it worth spending £600 or whatever to get it sorted.

Having lived with this car for a few weeks, it's growing on me. I can see me trading it in for a late model (Platinum?) one next year once I've saved up the extra cash, so I'd prefer not to spend too much on this one now.