Picasso 2011 clutch pedal stuck down

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Tommydoh

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 135000
Trim Level: Exclusive Plus
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Yesterday after driving for approx 10 mile and about 3 miles from home,
my clutch pedal decided to stay put on the floor and wouldn't come up
til i stuck my foot under it and pulled it up, struggled to get it into gear
and when it did the bugger stayed down again when trying to change gear.
managed to drive the final miles in 3rd gear and slowing as least as possible around corners etc.
well i made it safely and all well, left it outside, and this morning had a little search on google
about the problem and seen a few with similar problems, all i could do was spray above pedal
and around abouts with WD40, it seems to have released it a little better and now is moving up
and down quite freely, but when i press it in with the engine running, i can feel it not slotting into gear
smoothly and feels i'd crunch it if i forced it. i try again and it feels as if it did go in ok,
stumped! don't feel confident enough to drive it anywhere now as don't fancy ringing the AA.
any ideas?
or do i need to see a man about a new clutch?

thanks. :!:
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Tommydoh wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am Yesterday after driving for approx 10 mile and about 3 miles from home,
my clutch pedal decided to stay put on the floor and wouldn't come up
We had this one recently when the OH was driving.

Phone call 'clutch pedal on the floor, can't drive it'

After I managed to get to the car my thoughts were to lift the pedal manually, but everything was fine.
No pedal on the floor, no gear change problems, no clutch problems.

The clutch and its slave cylinder had been changed a few 100 miles back, the clutch hydraulic system had been bled and was working fine right up to the point it didn't.

I don't know what fixed it, just time (it was probably an hour) and it's never done it since or had ever done it before.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Tommydoh wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am it seems to have released it a little better and now is moving up
and down quite freely, but when i press it in with the engine running, i can feel it not slotting into gear
smoothly and feels i'd crunch it if i forced it. i try again and it feels as if it did go in ok,
stumped! don't feel confident enough to drive it anywhere now as don't fancy ringing the AA.
any ideas?

This could be due to the clutch master cylinder and it's slave, rather than the clutch plate/pressure plate/release bearing.

Its cheaper and easier to so the master cylinder/slave cylinder so look at that first.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Tommydoh

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 135000
Trim Level: Exclusive Plus

Arfur Dent wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:12 am
Tommydoh wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:59 am it seems to have released it a little better and now is moving up
any ideas?

This could be due to the clutch master cylinder and it's slave, rather than the clutch plate/pressure plate/release bearing.

Its cheaper and easier to so the master cylinder/slave cylinder so look at that first.
Thanks i've had a look at the fluid level and thats all fine. other than that i can't see anything else about it as can't get under cars anymore.
will try get someone to have a look before calling in the big guns .