Passenger window stuck down

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Ermintina

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hello,

My passenger side window is stuck down - very annoying. The switch for the window feels slightly loose. The drivers side window works beautifully and no other problems. Has anyone had this before/know what's wrong/know how much it's going to cost? Eeeek!!

Any help much appreciated!!

X
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Ermintina

Ermintina wrote:My passenger side window is stuck down - very annoying. The switch for the window feels slightly loose.
A switch is cheap and easy to change, can you try swapping the drivers with the passengers to see if the fault moves with the switch?

Have a look here for switches, there are quite a few at various prices (ebay).

Ermintina wrote:Has anyone had this before/know what's wrong/know how much it's going to cost? Eeeek!!
If the switch is not faulty, its probably going to be the window regulator (ebay), quite a few to choose from, have a look at the prices. It lives in the door and is connected to the glass and has an electric motor to drive the glass up and down. The window regulator is tricky to replace, but there are some helpful guides on the forum which can help guide you most of the way.

The Citroen C3 Door card removal topic is here.
My Name: Ermintina

Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Desire

Thank you for replying!

I know nothing when it comes to cars, is swopping the switches over to test fairly simple or should I leave it to a mechanic? I'll try that first I think :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Ermintina wrote:Thank you for replying!

I know nothing when it comes to cars, is swopping the switches over to test fairly simple or should I leave it to a mechanic? I'll try that first I think :)
I don't think a mechanic would be the best person for this job because it not a mechanical problem as such. For swapping the switches over, I would think someone with a bit of DIY confidence and a practical mind would be fine to do this. Small hands would also help.

I took some photos of how to remove the centre console and access the electric window switches based on a 2002 model.

Firstly, remove the gear stick knob. It pulls off, twisting will help. The action is twist and pull up.
lift and twist to remove the gear stick knob on a Citroen C3
lift and twist to remove the gear stick knob on a Citroen C3
Its quite hard going, so some strength would be beneficial here.

The gear knob has been removed
The gear knob has been removed
This pictures shows that the gear knob has been removed.

Separate the top part from the bottom part. The top and bottom are clipped together. Lifting and pulling should be enough to disengage the clips that hold them together. The plastic is quite strong so it will tale a fair bit of tugging if it needs it.
separate the top from the bottom of the centre console to access the window switches
separate the top from the bottom of the centre console to access the window switches
the top of the centre console has been separated from the bottom part to gain access.
the top of the centre console has been separated from the bottom part to gain access.
The top part can be moved around a bit, but not very much because the electric window and cigarette lighter wires are a bit on the short side. This makes it a bit more difficult, but not impossible to get your hands in.
not much spare cable makes manoeuvring the plastics difficult
not much spare cable makes manoeuvring the plastics difficult

The next step is to release the small clips that hold the plug to the socket on the electric window switch. You may also consider releasing the clips for the cigarette lighter and power socket plug. If you do, then the top plastic can be fully removed and its easier to see what you are doing.

This picture shows a close up of the clip that need to be release to disconnect the electric window plug from the switch (socket). Its fiddly, but if you can see how its done, then its easy to do it by feel, which is useful because the wires are so short. The image shows the switch removed from the plastic, but this is only done for a nice clear picture. You will need to put your hand between the top and bottom plastics, find the electric window switch and its wires, then disconnect the plug. Same applies to the other electric window switch and the cigarette lighter plug.
Press the small tab to release the clip that holds the plug to the socket.
Press the small tab to release the clip that holds the plug to the socket.
Just a very small tab to press. With this pressed in, the plug and be pulled gently from the socket (switch).

It may take a bit of practice to find the tab, but the picture should help identify it,

With all 4 (or 3) plugs disconnected the plastic top part of the centre console can be removed with the electric window switches still attached. To remove the switch, its another plastic part that needs to be compressed with a squeeze of the fingers. This will allow the switch to be removed and replaced or swapped with the opposite side for testing.

The image below shows the switch removed, but only to get a good shot of the clip that needs a squeeze to release the switch. You switch will still be attached to the top plastics. Squeeze the clips in the direction of the arrows to remove the switch.
clips to release the electric window switch
clips to release the electric window switch

When you refit it all, after reconnecting the cigarette lighter power (if you disconnected it), poke the cigarette lighter plug and wires through the hole and attach the switch. Then clip the console back together and finally pop the switch back in its hole. Its much easier to do it in that order (.
reassemble the plug to the switch before refitting the switch to the plastics.
reassemble the plug to the switch before refitting the switch to the plastics.

Its quite a quick job, it took much longer to write this post than it did to do the job ;)