Parasitic Drain issue

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: kihon

Hi Guys

I have a 2004 C3 1.1 Desire, which has recently started draining the battery overnight.I have measured the current when the car is idle (ie car locked, and allowed to settle down for a few minutes) and found it to be 0.3A, whereas it should be abount 0.03A.

By trial and error I found that by removing fuse 4. Auto Box, clock, Steering Wheel Switches, Radio (see tips-for-any-citroen-c3-f8/fuse-box-lay ... -t129.html) the drain drops down to 0.03A indicating the source of the drain, but Im having trouble going beyond this.

With the fuse removed the central locking does not work, and the engine wont start, so at the moment, I remove the fuse at night and put it back in before driving off to work. (Pain in the backside). The only clue I have to the cause is that shortly before I noticed the drain issue, the radio stopped working properly.

The radio display works, and the control stick on the steering column controls the volume, but the radio wont lock into any stations (Shows DX while scanning - indicating the aerial is either not connected or the associated amplifier is not getting power. The CD appears to spin up, and I can faintly hear the sound from the speakers, but no where near the volume it should be.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? (Have not been able to find a wiring diagram yet for the C3). Im going to get some radio removal tools so I can check the fuse on the back of the radio and check the connections, but apart from that Im stumped.

Thanks

Kihon.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi kihon,

Removing the radio and taking the measurements again is going to be the easiest path, and sounds like the most likely cause.

Radio removal keys for the C3 are here

You can find the wiring diagrams in this - the haynes manual.

Measuring the standby current draw on a Citroen C3
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)