only the drivers door will lock and unlock

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: hymer46

Contributor

9 months later I still not got the door problem solved,only one door the drivers door will lock and un -lock plus the tail gate.

Took my Citroen 2004 c3 to a citreon dealer confirmed without charge that the problem is the bsi unit at 499 pounds plus vat ok I said go ahead,

I was then told that this bsi unit may not solve the problem and I may need a I think its called a ecu unit cost 1000 pounds plus vat.

Can anyone confirm that this may be the case,to spend well over 1500 pounds if this other unit needed on a 2004 citreon is more than the car is worth..Ps tried all the tricks open this and press that no joy thanks roy
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

hymer46 wrote:Took my Citreon 2004 c3 to a Citreon dealer confirmed without charge that the problem is the BSI UNIT AT 499 POUNDS PLUS Vat ok i said go ahead,i was then told that this BSI unit may not solve the problem
Yes it could well be the BSI, that is what controls the central locking. Citroen have to cover themselves by saying it may not be the BSI because there may be an unseen fault that's causing problems rather than the BSI.

You could try swapping out the BSI from a similar car, the engine won't start but if your central locking works, you have pin pointed the fault (its the BSI).

You can get your BSI tested or even repaired, try contacting BBA Reman (via their ebay store)

hymer46 wrote:i may need a i think its called a ECU unit cost 1000 pounds plus Vat.can anyone confirm that this may be the case,
I can say its NOT the ECU for £1000. The ECU controls the engine and doesn't get involved with the central locking.

BUT, the ECU and BSI are linked by a secret code for security. Citroen may be saying - if they can't code the new BSI to the old ECU, you may need a new ECU have coded. There is nothing wrong with your ECU, but its more of a compatibility problem.

Getting your old BSI repaired will be a better option because no reprogramming will be required.

A second hand BSI will need its corresponding ECU to start the engine (immobiliser). Have a look at these C3 BSI, ECU & Kits on ebay, you get the ecu,bsi, transponder and key - everyting you need to fit a second hand BSI.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Hi thanks I will look on e-bay or contact the agent advised,citreon dealer told me that because passenger doors wont open thats not a mot failiure but of course a inconvieniance.Thanks much appreciated roy
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)

hymer46 wrote:Hi thanks I will look on e-bay or contact the agent advised,citreon dealer told me that because passenger doors wont open thats not a mot failiure but of course a inconvieniance.Thanks much appreciated roy
Thanks for the update.

I found this on https://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/doors/
https://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/doors/ wrote:Doors must open and close. The door catch must retain the door securely in the closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items such as rear seatbelts.
Which indicates the driver and passenger (front doors) need to work correctly to pass the MOT test.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

THANKS Thought what i was told cant be right.
My Name: quitmanlover

Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: VTR+

Thanks very much for these posts. Probably I need to contact bba-reman as well. My C3 SX 1.4i 2002 has the same problem, central lock doesn't control any door or tailgate. I drove it to a local vehicle electric service company and got confirmed the BSI is faulty. Replacing it will cost me about 580 pounds which is nearly the price I bought the C3.

Arfur Dent has mentioned resetting BSI. Is a reset possible to fix this problem?

Another question, how to open a previously manually locked door?

Many thanks,

Qin
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Mileage: 140000

Replacing it will cost me about 580 pounds which is nearly the price I bought the C3.
Not cheap, the other option is to get a used BSI, engine ECU and key and fit that as a complete kit. like these kits on ebay
Arfur Dent has mentioned resetting BSI. Is a reset possible to fix this problem?
Seeing as the BSI controls the CL, it won't cost anything to try. No one knows why your CL is busted, but suggestions are often to try the easiest or cheapest tests first.
Another question, how to open a previously manually locked door?
Manually locked - manually unlock it
Deadlocked - you need the BSI to unlock it

Unless you want to feed some power down the CL plug connected to the BSI to spoof the CL signals?

Have a look here https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-q ... 3-t76.html

Contributor

UPDATE ON THE BSI SAGA Sent unit to BBA REAMAN they told me the unit could be repaired but i had then have to get my car to a citreon dealer to be re-programmed,i contated a Citreon dealer they told me first they would have to test it cost 79 pounds plus vat,and no doubt i would end up having a new unit fitted.so i decided i would sell the car for spare& repair ,so informed BBA REMAN to return the unit not repaired,i received the unit back from Reman damaged the plastic casing is broken around the some of securing clips,i taped the unit around the broken area,put BSI unit back on car,and low & behold it started and the doors that have been locked for last 10 months opened.if i could not open all the passenger doors car would fail MOT on this.So best get unit of car and again refit see if it works and if you can open the unit,give it a clean and you may be lucky like me.keep my fingers crossed it keeps on working.
My Name: quitmanlover

Engine Size: 1.4

the doors that have been locked for last 10 months opened
I'm sure my central lock failed since I bought this C3 as all the passenger doors can be open from both inside and outside. Later I locked the right rear door by screwing a aperture with car key. But soon I realised there was no chance to open it again unless fixing the central lock.

I haven't checked that door since then. Probably I'm as lucky as you. Today I found that door can be opened from inside. Probably the electrical guy disconnect-reconnected the BSI as you did to your C3 and somehow unlock the doors. I don't know how about from outside as the handle is broken at the moment.

It seems all the doors are working, at least manually. Hopefully my central lock is dead permanently and won't bother me again.

The last problem left is the tailgate. So far I can only open it through the emergency hole inside the car. The lever of the tailgate can't unlock the tailgate. Is it related to the central lock or just a failed lock?

Best wishes,

Qin
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The lever of the tailgate can't unlock the tailgate. Is it related to the central lock or just a failed lock?
Tailgate is part of the central locking in that it is BSI controlled. So it could be linked to your BSI problem (check the BSI Central locking plugs?) or you may have a faulty switch or unlock motor.