Only got one key ?????

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Hudson

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 46000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hello,
My daughter has bought her first car which is a 2004 C3 1.1 Desire, its a great little car but only came with one remote key, the key of course has the buttons for opening and locking the car, all works fine.... but i want her to have another spare key.

I have just tried to open the car door with the key (not the buttons) and the drivers door opens but the others do not and you can not lock the door when locking the drivers door ! The idea was to get another key without the buttons and simply use it in the lock of the drivers door to open and lock all the door.... but i can not, i also can not lock the doors from the inside by lifting the handles (like i could do with older cars). So is there no alternative but to get a key with the two buttons on which a dealer says will be very expensive ???
My Name: Hans Zarkov

Top Contributor
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Exclusive

Hi, you can lock the doors without the central locking by peeling the little circular stickers off from the lock face of the door and turning the little plastic switch. This doesn't work for the hatch though (which due to poor design by Citroen can't be locked without central locking)
To get a new key cut, you will need the key ID card which should have been supplied with your car, but if not, the number can be provided by your local Citroen dealer.
Citroen can cut you a new key from this number, but a decent local locksmith should be able to do It much cheaper :)
John

Thanks for that, i thought it was faulty as i always considered that just using the blade in the lock would unlock all the doors not just the drivers door, but hey ho, i guess i will just need a proper key (with two buttons) and have it coded properly, i don't have the code but i understand it can be done with the existing key.
My Name: Missing Lincs

LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi there Hudson. You can copy or clone your existing key, this is a physical copy of the blade and also the code from the transponder is written to the new key. It will open the door using the lock and also start the car but the remote locking won't work.

Each remote transmitter is unique. To make it work it has to be coded to the car. The only way to do this is to get a new key from Citroen, or at least the fob part of the key; the blade can be copied from your existing key. The Citroen supplied fob has the transponder pre-programmed with the remote locking transmitter information, when the transponder is coded to the car it also tells it the remote transmitter information.

Someone with a Lexia programmer and the codes for the car can do this, it doesn't have to be a dealer BUT you need to know what you're doing as you can end up with no keys that work! If you do get another key programmed, at the same time you can see if there has been a second key which is lost and remove it from the system. Chances are there probably wasn't a second key, ours only came with one which is why I know quite a bit about key programming. I refused to pay the price that the dealer wanted for a few minutes work, although as I said above, I did have to buy the genuine fob.

If you get the blade for the key cut try to get a genuine Valeo blade, they are not expensive but the quality of metal is superior to many of the generic blades. The chap who cut ours said that cutting a non branded key is like cutting cheese!!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Thanks for that info, i have a very good friend who owns an auto diagnostics garage who can do them, its in with him at the moment for a full service, cam belt and the key.... and and the fitting of an aftermarket headunit...... no digital input on the original unit !!
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hudson wrote:no digital input on the original unit !!
Don't forget it was 2004.

I have the original head unit, but added an MP3 Player FM Transmitter with USB/SD card reader to give the digital connection with minimal fuss.