O/S Front and rear side lights not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: murdock_bassi

Contributor

Hi Guys, my first post here, My mate has a 05 C3 SX 1.4 which has a strange problem (well two see my other post in Autobox section)

The Driver side front and rear side lights dont work, I checked the bulbs and they are fine, I even tested the bulb in my car.

The fuse seems fine as well??

Halfords checked the fuse and they said the wiring is most likely faulty, would you guys agree?
The brake lights work, but months ago I had to clean the contacts for them to work reliably.

is this a known fault?

Any help would be great
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the forum murdock_bassi

Do the number plate lights work?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Yes, they work still

I'm even thinking of asking Citroen to have a look at while they are reading the fault codes for the autobox problem (my other post)

Guru

Thanks for the answer, I had a look at the wiring diagram and the front and rear side lights are on separate connections to the BSI (no fuse). So it looks like its not something like a loose plug on the BSI.

It could be something along the lines of 2 distinct faults, one for the front and one for the back, hopefully it is just that as the alternative is a faulty BSI. Just something you don't want to get into.

If the car is going into citroen, its an ideal time to get them find out what's causing it.

Do let us know how you get on. (with both problems!)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply, The car is booked in on the 14th, they fully booked till then, I will let you know how i get on.

one quick question, what is a BSI?

Guru

what is a BSI
The BSI is the body control unit, its part of the fuse box thats in the glove-box. Its responsible for security and bringing communication between the various ECUs amongst other things.

Contributor

Took it to the main dealers and they can't find out whats causing it, but they would like to change the BSI, £500 please if you don't mind....... :cry:

Just a thought, can I run a power supply from the N/S lights (possibly with a relay?)

Guru

Just a thought, can I run a power supply from the N/S lights (possibly with a relay?)
Yes.

It will work fine, not too tricky. I would be tempted to only use a relay on the main and dip beam as the other bulbs are lower power.... Linking the low power lamp wires at the BSI plug has to be the easiest way, meaning less wire to run in (assuming the wiring is ok and it really is a BSI fault). While you are poking around the BSI plugs that are for the lights, you may stumble across the reason for the fault.

The Dip Beam and Main Beam are fed by fuses in the engine bay fuse box, rather than the BSI. The engine bay fuse box is the next stop for the main and dip beam supplies, there is a nice 12v supply for your relays at the battery. Add 2 extra fuses to make up for the 2 you are bypassing.

The Citroen C3 Haynes Manual has the diagrams for the lights with the plug numbers and wire colours to make it nice and easy.

Contributor

Thanks for the advice, I was going to run a wire from the N/S/R light cluster plug to the O/S/R plug, but linking them from the BSI sounds easier.

I wasn't going to bother with the front, until MOT time, we can always drive with the dipped on when needed, but a missing tail light is just an open invitation for Mr Plod to pull the car.

Just a thought, but I fitted an after market Stereo to the car last year, I know the original OEM radio is linked to the security system (via the BSI?) this wouldn't have caused the (possible) BSI failure?

Again Thanks for the assistance

Guru

I fitted an after market Stereo to the car last year, I know the original OEM radio is linked to the security system (via the BSI?) this wouldn't have caused the (possible) BSI failure?
I don't think the after market stereo has an affect on the BSI because there is no security connection with the original citroen/clarion radio removed.

I am not 100% understanding which lights don't work at the front, but you seem to have a good idea on what needs doing. It will be nice to hear how it all goes.