No power/current to sidelights - well, most of the time!

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: tanith_smith

Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2010 (60)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 88000
Trim Level: Airdream+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV6 16-valve diesel (92 PS)

Had a mechanic friend of my dads look at my car today, as I’ve changed the sidelight bulbs (twice) but they still aren’t working. Occasionally (especially if you do a bit of random flashing with the main beam) they’ll glow a bit then fade. He tested both bulb holders, and there doesn’t appear to be any power/current coming through. The original bulbs and replacements aren’t leds.

I’ve booked one of Citroen’s ‘Spring Safety’ checks for Wednesday (£15) and it will obviously flag up then so I will ask them. Ahead of that, I wondered if this was a common thing and what, if anything might be the cause? Everything else electrical seems to be functioning fine at the moment!
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

tanith_smith wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:29 pm Had a mechanic friend of my dads look at my car today, as I’ve changed the sidelight bulbs (twice) but they still aren’t working. Occasionally (especially if you do a bit of random flashing with the main beam) they’ll glow a bit then fade. He tested both bulb holders, and there doesn’t appear to be any power/current coming through. The original bulbs and replacements aren’t leds.

I’ve booked one of Citroen’s ‘Spring Safety’ checks for Wednesday (£15) and it will obviously flag up then so I will ask them. Ahead of that, I wondered if this was a common thing and what, if anything might be the cause? Everything else electrical seems to be functioning fine at the moment!

The front lights are controlled but the BSM module, it is the engine bay fuse box.

You potentially have a faulty BSM and Citroen can replace this for you but it's not cheap.
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

On the older cars the side lights were run from the BSI (the fuse box in the glove box). I don't know if it's the same for the newer cars (or the Picasso) .

Here is a video of the repair of an older BSI with side light problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ocuqab4fRJ0

Again, not sure that it's the same for the later models.