new discs and pads creating noise?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: waterboy

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

I have just fitted new discs and pads to the front of my c3 1.4 hdi. The old discs were difficult to remove, took some banging to free them and the fixing screws. I then fitted the new discs and tapered pads. After fitting two new drop links as well, I took for a short drive.
The drop links have helped tighten up the handling significantly. All good there.
But the brakes seem to be creating noise rhythmically when applied in relation to speed.
So, the question here is why?

Could it be I was heavy handed and have affected the bearings? Noise is not worse when cornering....

Could it be I got the tapers on the pads wrong? I put them so the leading edge was tapered when driving forward, I failed to note the configuration when removing the pads, surely this wouldn't cause problems?

I will be driving 20 miles twice tomorrow; I will probably find out if it improves with driving or worsens....!!

Any help would be appreciated.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi waterboy, did things settle down or get worse?

Contributor

The noise is a sort of low whine, becoming higher pitched at 50 to 60. It seemed to diminish with a curve to the right and increase a touch when curving left. Braking causes significant noise. As you get slower it sounds more like a underground train braking of accelerating. I think the front discs are running a little warm, but not hot....
Unsure if I should think of replacing hub, bearings or caliper mount. Before changing the discs, the brakes did follow a similar pattern of braking vibration, which was the primary reason I changed them...
What do you think needs changing? Or should I just get a full assembly off ebay?

All help greatly appreciated.

Alan

Guru

The 'low whine' points to wheel bearing. If you go for wheel bearings, avoid cheap ones, they don't last. There is a post about them somewhere here.

Warm discs, could be wheel bearing again, with all that extra friction being converted to heat.
Unsure if I should think of replacing hub, bearings or caliper mount. Before changing the discs, the brakes did follow a similar pattern of braking vibration, which was the primary reason I changed them...
And changing them didn't fix it, so, as you suggest, something else is causing it.

What do you think needs changing? Or should I just get a full assembly off ebay?
Well, wheel bearing, but I don't know about any other bits, there is not much left to change?

But, the ebay route could be easier. Either fit low mileage units straight, or recondition the ebay units and fit them.

Front springs are common to fail on the C3, top strut bearing do get worn. While you have a spare leg to work on without taking the car off the road, you have an ideal opportunity to do the jobs that may be due before long.

Contributor

Well, so I've been busy with swapping the hubs over on both sides with some from a 53 plate. All seems unchanged.....until I replaced one back tyre..... Would you believe road noise gone from a tyre change! Amazing improvement; apparently it was not round? Goodness knows how or why.

Anyway, I was still planning on putting new bearings in my original hubs. The problem I have is the circlip or snap ring as some call it. It will not budge. I've bought professional circlip pliers sets. I've put wd40, shock and unlock, hammered a chisel all round the ring. There is literally no hint of movement. Is absolutely essential to remove the ring. It looks like the bearing comes out other direction. Is that right? Or how the hell do I move that Damn circlip....!!!

All help greatly appreciated
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

citroen c3 front wheel bearing circlip
citroen c3 front wheel bearing circlip
It looks like an internal circlip. You can remove this with your circlip tool. Have you tried giving the bearing a tap just to free up the circlip?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Tapped, smacked, whacked. I think it is rusted on. I have used a chisel tapped and smacked all the way round top and bottom of the circlip with wd40 and without. I have 9" circlip pliers, but they keep slipping and bending....

Can you get extractors with screw threads to apply more directed force?

Does the bearing go out away from the circlip or only after the circlip has been removed?
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

The bearing comes out past the circlip groove, ie- it would go inward as the hub is fitted to the car.

The circlip wil be rusted into the groove, you can often shock them free by using a center punch and a hammer, put the point of the centre punch in the hole and tap inwards.
Don't go mental though as it will snap if you bent it too much in one area.
If you get really stuck you could get someome to warm the circlip up with a small welding nozzel, it will then lose it's spring
and should release the rust.

As the bearing and the circlip as both being renewed heating it moderatly won't hurt.

Guru

I have 9" circlip pliers, but they keep slipping and bending....
This could also be part of your problem. The pliers shouldn't bend and the pins on the end be in good, unworn condition so they get a really good grip in the holes of the clip.

The plate steel ones may not be up to the job, its a strong clip.

Cast ones won't bend, but you need to match up the size of the holes with the correct tool (look here)

Contributor

Finally got the circlip off. Best device was a small flat blade screw driver. Bang it until it gets behind the circlip. Then adjusting as you go stay behind the circlip and force it away from the edge all the way round, both ways. The circlip pliers are now redundant!! Use them to fit the new circlip only....

So, fitted the bearing with a bearing tool to remove and fit new bearings.

Next to fit the hub back into the bearing. Having read around I thought I'd line it up carefully and use a hammer. No chance. Hub went just a little off true and consequently bearing started to separate. No way to adjust, the bearing just fell to bits.

Any suggestion of how to fit without repeating on a new bearing?