new discs and pads creating noise?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

waterboy wrote: Next to fit the hub back into the bearing. Having read around I thought I'd line it up carefully and use a hammer. No chance. Hub went just a little off true and consequently bearing started to separate. No way to adjust, the bearing just fell to bits.

Any suggestion of how to fit without repeating on a new bearing?
Don't hit bearings with a hammer unless you want them to fail. :o

Use a bearing press found in a workshop or a screw type kit for DIY to fit bearings correctly without damage.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: waterboy

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000

Yes. I fitted the bearings with a screw type tool. But it has no adaptor to fit the hub back in. And the bolt is too large to fit through the hub. I was thinking there must a hub fitting tool to do the job.

Do you know where I might get one at a sensible price?
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

waterboy wrote:I fitted the bearings with a screw type tool. But it has no adaptor to fit the hub back in. And the bolt is too large to fit through the hub.
I have used a correctly sized socket from the socket set that fits exactly on the rim of the bearing for pressing them in.

You will need to find one that fits on the inner part of the bearing and one for the hub inner part.

If you see how the screw type tool you have works, a suitable long bolt or some studding, some washers and a spanner can recreate the way your tool works.

Use this home made tool with some perfectly sized sockets from the tool box and you should be able to install the inner part of the hub carrier into the inner part of the bearing safely and without damage :)

You won't need to support the outer part of the bearing because you are not putting any force on it.