Need a spare key. Can I buy any valeo citroen Key

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Moh

Contributor

Dear all

I need a spare key and am thinking of buying one on ebay that is similar to mine.

I have noticed the keys have different part numbers. I only have one key for my car and I opened the shell
and found the part number on the circuit board (73373067C).

I am thinking of buying a used key (ebay) and swap the circuit boards (using blade from the one key I have) reprogram or resynchronize the ebay key. If it works (unlocks and locks doors) then buy a spare blade (with shell) and have it cut. then swap the circuit boards over again.

Idea is to test and reprogram circuit board first and then have a spare blade cut.

Has anyone tried this?

Would this work?

I am worried about the part numbers and which used keys will have circuit boards that are compatible with mine.

My car is :
Citroen C3 SX HDI 70 5dr Dsl Auto 1398cc
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Moh

this is good timing, there is currently a new post about the key fob here

its an ongoing post and due to be updated, but, it boils down to two circuits, the immobiliser and the remote unlocker. One you can recode with a lexia/ dealer and the other that needs new part to be coded with dealer tools like the lexia its not just a case of putting an ebay key in the ignition and muttering a few magic words ;)
I have noticed the keys have different part numbers
Oh yes, and different codes in the remote control chip.
Idea is to test and reprogram circuit board first and then have a spare blade cut.
Cutting the spare blade is least of your worries. reprogramming the key for remote locking requires dealer tools - or lexia and the immobiliser requires parts. The post about the C3 key fob is improving with age (like a red wine) as experience is added but shows the immobiliser chip and the remote unlocker chip.

My advice is to either-

1. wait till the post is completed and make a decision then,

or

2. go ahead, and post your experience and add to the knowledge base :D

My car is :
Citroen C3 SX HDI 70 5dr Dsl Auto 1398cc
that's petty comprehensive, but a MY (model year) would help as citroen changed the remote over the years, even different options appeared in the same year, original shape, facelift, or the all new shape car.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Some great advice from Arfur.

I've programmed a new key for a 54 plate C3, its not difficult IF you have access to a fully working version of Lexia, it requires the hardware interface as well as software. You also need the key programming card which should come with the car, without the code on the card you can't access the key programming.

Getting the immobiliser part of the key to work is relatively easy, you can use Lexia to marry a preprogrammed transponder to the car, or you can buy a blank chip as Arfur says and have it cloned from an existing key. The hard part is the central locking. When you buy a new key from Citroen, the coding from the central locking circuit is written into the transponder chip, when the transponder chip is programmed to the car it also encodes the central locking transmitter. When I tried the first time I bought a brand new genuine Valeo key, correct parts inside and everything apart from the locking transmitter code wasn't written to the transponder so wouldn't sync with the car. I then bought the fob part of the key from Citroen with the transponder correctly set up and everything programmed first time.

If I include the time I spent, this was definitely not a cost saving exercise, it would have been easier to get the key from Citroen and let them programme it, I like to know how and enjoy solving problems so for me it was fun :roll:

If you're lucky, you might get a second hand key on ebay that may work, as they are pre-programmed in the factory the fact that its been used shouldn't matter, it should still program to your car. THe question is whether you're up for the process involved.

And finally, if you do get a new key programmed it gives the opportunity to remove all missing keys from the system so any lost keys can be deleted.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Moh

Contributor

Dear all

The one key that came with the car does have a 'ID46' chip or the separate square black block in it.
I can't see whether it is a Philips or nxd because the blank side is visible only.

I only have a green circuit board in the key with part number: 73373067C printed on it. see picture attached.

I have found a Citroen Scratch card with the key symbol on it with the manual.

Do I need a blank ID46 chip then have programmed ?

I will now visit my locksmith and let you know what happens.

citroen c3 key fob circuit board
citroen c3 key fob circuit board