Mysterious problems

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Andreasautumnus

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.6 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 125000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Hi all!

I am not sure if they are separate issues or all are linked, but I am slightly lost currently of what would be the best course of action to pinpoint the issue.

A/C doesnt work and Cruise control doesnt engage.

No fault codes are present in the vechicle in question (2002 1.6i with A/C and manual gearbox)

-In closer inspection a actuator error is found in the 1 variable speed cooling fan (lower setting), but fan engages around 97C.. No error is found besides actuator error.
-No voltage to A/C clutch, but clutch functions(using external 12V). Clutch actuator test fails.
-Cruise control buttons function, but cruise control doesnt engage despite sound signal. ABS system gives ok readings for all wheels (ABS sensors). All sensors and switches give ok readings (related to cruise control). Overspeed function works. ( cruise control has dropped working in the past during operation)

Any ideas? Maybe issue in harness :(

Contributor

krasny wrote: ↑Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:50 pm
as you described, with high speed option the fan start in slow mode and the speed increases over time. Maybe is an error and should be only one test.

If the fan ramps up from low speed to full speed then the fan speed controller is working OK. That's the whole point of the test. I wouldn't worry about the low speed fan option. Just a mistake or double up in the LEXIA program. the fact that your options and mine are different would be down to the fact that they are different engine ECU's and how they have written the LEXIA program.
So i guess fan works as intended... Actuator error is due to programming on Lexia. Leaving A/C and cruise control issues.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Andreasautumnus wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47 am So i guess fan works as intended... Actuator error is due to programming on Lexia. Leaving A/C and cruise control issues.
Yes. For some reason some cars don't respond to the fan actuator test (correctly) in LEXIA. As long as the fan actually works you are fine.

Andreasautumnus wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:18 am -No voltage to A/C clutch, but clutch functions(using external 12V). Clutch actuator test fails.
If the A/C system or fan have a fault the clutch will not engage, either "normally" or by the actuator test. LEXIA is usually no help, it just says the A/C is disabled and not why. The two "usual suspects" are the fan controller circuit or no refrigerant. The fan seems Ok so I would see if there is refrigerant in the system. The pressure in the "high" side needs to be more than about 50psi (not sure of the actual cut out pressure).
Andreasautumnus wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:18 am -Cruise control buttons function, but cruise control doesnt engage despite sound signal. ABS system gives ok readings for all wheels (ABS sensors). All sensors and switches give ok readings (related to cruise control). Overspeed function works. ( cruise control has dropped working in the past during operation)
HMM. I would look at the clutch switch signals in LEXIA. If the "drop outs" are random I would be replacing the switch all together. Anything else should show as a fault in LEXIA.

Believe it or not but there is a clutch switch on the peddle box of my automatic c3!?

Contributor

Ac system is full with new pressure switch(Though about the same) and clutch switch is new also. Doesnt show up in Lexia. Maybe need to teach ECU again to see it.. Clutch switch input in LEXIA?

Contributor

UPDATE!

Seems like after cleaning BSI voltage reaches A/C clutch switch suggesting faulty A/C clutch.
New clutch coming in mail.

Used lexia to program clutch switch input into (yes) computers and checked BSI and injection. No other issues found yet cruise control not yet operational. All the sensors and switches work according to LEXIA.

Operation in the past was that it used to function sometimes dropping it often during operation and now doesn't even turn on. Clutch switch new, brake switch new, Fuses ok, BSI ok, Injection ok, accelerator pedal and throttle body ok, ABS ok.. Interesting issue...

Contributor

UPDATE!

Also engine speed sensor renewed. Some switches and sensors renewed due to sometimes giving irregural readings and them being cheap.

Next step in my mind would be to move to harness and one wire in particular. Nr 12 (yellow) in engine fuse box 16 pin green connection leading power to cruise control brake (red) and clutch (grey). All the earths seem ok.

If this other wire seems ok I will focus on Clutch switch wire to ECU F1 pin in 48 brown connector (switch beige to ecu red). I think issue must be wiring.

Contributor

UPDATE!

Keeping in mind that LEXIA has no test for clutch switch anywhere in parameters. At least when I try to find.

Contributor

Problem was harness related. Although found other issues with irradic switch functions also. Issue was the power cable leading to switches. Autopilot functioning leaving only A/C clutch.

Andreasautumnus wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:54 pm Problem was harness related. Although found other issues with irradic switch functions also. Issue was the power cable leading to switches. Autopilot functioning leaving only A/C clutch.
The wiring in the steering wheel? How did you fix it?