Multiple light system faults displaying on dashboard

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: diytryer

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: Airplay+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Thanks again, I'm very slowly getting there, just want to make sure I know what I'm trying to do before I go about disconnecting the battery etc.

If I understand you right, you're suggesting cutting the green and yellow earth lead shown in the photo leading into the multipin connector, lengthening it and soldering it to the front of the circuit board on the light panel?

Cheers
Attachments
20140510_132623.jpg
20140510_132705.jpg
Light Panel
Light Panel
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

diytryer wrote:If I understand you right, you're suggesting cutting the green and yellow earth lead shown in the photo leading into the multipin connector, lengthening it and soldering it to the front of the circuit board on the light panel?
Yes,

so the signal (voltage) on the wire bypasses the burned connector and get straight into the working of the lights.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: diytryer

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.1
Mileage: 40000
Trim Level: Airplay+

Excellent.

Final question, where exactly do I solder the extended wire to? Any of the metal strips on the circuit board? Because I can't see the back of the socket, its difficult to see what exactly the dodgy pin corresponds to. Will soldering the wire to any metal part of the circuit board do the job?

Cheers again, determined to get this fixed today even if just in the short term

Guru

diytryer wrote:Final question, where exactly do I solder the extended wire to? Any of the metal strips on the circuit board?
No, each part of the metal strips correspond with each of the pins on the back of the socket (and the wires on the plug).

You will need to check (and be very sure) which bit of metal in the unit is connected to the burned pin and only connect to this.

A simple continuity test would do the job to clearly identify which pin connects to which bit of metal (but you need to remove the lamps for a correct reading).
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: trumpycam

Contributor
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Mileage: 50000

Hi
Have been following post with interest as have similar but intermittent problem, ie that dash lights come on indicating fault but all lights work, checked plug and saw some browning around earth pin but not burnt as diytryer. So my question is should I do the splice as arfurdent's solution (cutting the earth wire rejoining the two and running to a new earth) or just cut and make a new earth from the side coming into the plug and leave plug side free.
Thanks for help Joe

Guru

trumpycam wrote: my question is should I do the splice as arfurdent's solution (cutting the earth wire rejoining the two and running to a new earth) or just cut and make a new earth from the side coming into the plug and leave plug side free.
Thanks for help Joe
Hi Joe,

I think both would work;
(jumpering over the burned connector and using the existing earth or jumpering over the burned connector and adding a new earth connection to the body).

Its your choice, depending on your skills and the time you want to spend on it. One involves a bit more work of finding a new, clean earth on the body and bypasses the burned connector and the other just bypasses the burned connector and uses the existing citroen earth.

One choice is less work and provides the basic fix, the other choice is extra work but provides a more comprehensive solution.

Unfortunately both require soldering to the metal track in the light cluster, but I expect a correctly drilled hole in the correct track with a self tapping screw and crimp eyelet would provide good results without the need for soldering.

When I manage to get my hands on a spare rear cluster I will add some pictures :)
My Name: trumpycam

Contributor
Mileage: 50000

Thanks for quick reply do not solder very well so will try other method, and will also try to do extra earth. Hopefully for a better solution. I assume by your answer that just splicing into wire before connector does not solve problem.
Thanks again Joe

Guru

trumpycam wrote:I assume by your answer that just splicing into wire before connector does not solve problem.
Just splicing into the wire before the connector and joining the other end (of your new wire) to an earth point on the body won't help with the burned/melted connection on the plug/socket.

You need to get into the lamp holder metal tracks to actually bypass the burned plug/socket

It would be great to see some photos of how you progress and the finished job. The forum lacks pictures of a completed job. ;)
My Name: citizen_blue

Year: 2007 (57)
Mileage: 46000
Gearbox: SensoDrive

Hi

first post on the forum and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to find out which wire relates to which light on the rear light cluster. It is the same light cluster as in the picture in this post.

Which wire is the earth (I'm guessing the green/yellow in port 1) and which one relates to the reverse light (possibly the purple in port 2?)

Thanks in advance

Neil

Guru

Welcome to the forum Neil
citizen_blue wrote: I'm trying to find out which wire relates to which light on the rear light cluster. It is the same light cluster as in the picture in this post.

Which wire is the earth (I'm guessing the green/yellow in port 1) and which one relates to the reverse light (possibly the purple in port 2?)
If I wanted to find the earth and the reversing light wires, I would use a cheap multimeter or a multimeter like this.

Remove the lamps and you can buzz test (continuity) or measure the resistance from the lamp socket to the plug. To find the earth, put one probe on some exposed metal of the C3s body an test each wire in turn for continuity.

This way you can be sure you have the right wire.

If you wanted to double check, with the meter set to the 20V range, attach probes to the socket at positions for your new found earth and reverse and select reverse on the gear box. You meter should read in the 12v range.