More advice needed please. Insurance questions.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: cjkace

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Having got the mirror and quarter light repaired, a nice person has now backed into my daughters car while it was parked, and dented the drivers side passenger door. The door still opens, and locks, but the dent looks bad. The other driver has admitted it was his fault and my daughter duly reported all of this to her insurance company, and got all of his details.

They have (Tesco Box Insurance) told her that if we take it to their repairer (Nationwide Network Services) she won't lose her no-claim or pay any excess, as they will claim it all back from his insurance. However I'm worried that they will write off her car as it's only worth about £2100 according to Parkers.co.uk.

I don't drive so I have a few questions.

1 - If a car is written off, after only one month of the insurance premium, do you lose the other eleven months worth of premium, even if it's not your fault? (she stands to lose £800 if so)

2 - rather than go through her insurance and their 'approved' repairer, are we better to get an independent quote and go directly to his insurance (Chaucer(?

3 - If we go through his insurance company and they decide they'd rather write it off than repair it, does she still lose the remainder of her premium with Tesco?

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the noobish questions! :D
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

If the other party has admitted that it was their fault then there should be no claim on your daughters policy whatsoever and nothing to pay by her at all.

You can take the car where ever you choose for repair, however, it's often easier to use the insurer's preferred repairer as they will settle the bill directly. Your daughter should also get a courtesy car while hers is being repaired, even if her own policy doesn't include this. The claim is on the other persons policy.

I doubt write-off will be mentioned, but if it is, insist you want the car repaired. As this is a non-fault claim your daughters insurers aren't paying out so they aren't going to worry about the value of the claim.

The worst part from your daughters point of view is that she will have the accident on her insurance record even though she is totally blameless. They say it doesn't affect future insurance, but ... I think this is very unfair, unfortunately they make the rules.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: cjkace

Year: 2005 (05)
Trim Level: VTR+

Thanks for the info.

There is a clause in her insurance that her policy ceases to have effect if her insurer makes a cash payment up to the value of her car. I'm a bit worried that these weasely b'stards will pay her out as a write off, and then claim the money back from his insurance, and then say the policy has ended as they paid out. I guess we'll have to get some re-assurance from Tesco insurance that the car will be repaired, and not written off as they decide they won't be able to claim all of the repair costs back.

As it stands the car is worth around £2100 (2005 C3 Desire 1.1 on a 55 plate) according to parker.co.uk, and some listings within 100 miles that I've found.

It looks like the car will need either a new rear door and re-spray that side, or the door will need re-skinning and re-spraying.

Also Tesco have passed the replacement car while being repaired issue on to Albany Assistance, who have a very poor reputation for over inflating the cost of a hire car, and causing the other insurance company to dispute the costs.

This car ownership lark is a serious headache :D
My Name: gfromleeds

Top Contributor
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Trim Level: Desire

Very much doubt they'll write it off for a door
I recently bought and fitted a rear door on my 03 reg c3 only took 2-3 hours and that included the striping electrics glass ect..
Bare door cost me £35 from a local brakers