Key won't turn ignition Barrel....HELP!

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: ronniecabers

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 110000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Evening all,

Wonder if someone can help me out here, the wife phoned me up and said the key won't turn in the ignition barrell ...my initial thought was steering lock was one, or the key was worn. So she walked to my work picked up my truck and left me to get the car. Tried her key ...no key wouldn't even go in barrel. Tried my key and a little cursing , and a little wiggling , and a lot more cursing , the key finally went in, and the car started. Drove it back to work, tried it , maybe a dozen times with my key and worked every time ..... then without warning the key just wouldn't turn. I am guessing the barrel pins are kaput. Now I think a second hand barrel is in order, with only 1 car key alas...but guessing my current keys are coded, and the new key won't be to my car......anyway that this is possible to get this to work??????

Cheers
Kieron
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

There are 2 things coded in your key to the car, the immobiliser and the remote central locking.

But, don't worry, just swap the blade from the replacement key into your existing fob and be a one key car.

Getting new blades cut is cheap enough and can be added to any fob that has an existing pairing with the car.

This may be useful citroen-c3-tips/early-c3-transponder-ke ... -t449.html

It is possible to add another key to the immobiliser part of the car quite easily with citroen-c3-tips/lexia-and-obd-diagnosti ... -t655.html and a PCF7836AS, but the remote central locking is more of a problem. This key will start the car, but won't remote unlock.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

If you need a new key blade you can get one from a dealer that is cut to the key code rather than relying on a blade to copy which could be worn of damaged. If you have the key code card the numbers will identify the key pattern, if you don't, the information can be recovered from Citroen. Not often I recommend dealers but for this one it worth considering.

Also, if you add a new key/fob, ones supplied by Citroen are pre-linked between the immobiliser chip and central locking transmitter which makes linking to the car a whole lot simpler. Using a raw, un-coded key/fob is not easy to get working.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Just a thought, do the keys works in the drivers door lock? This would be a good way to tell if its a key or barrel problem, the driver's door lock is rarely used so should be totally un-worn.

If you do go down the route of replacing the ignition barrel you'll still need the old keys for the door unless you change both to match.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: